DevaVictrix
1 Copper

Dell 5/ir RAID1 degraded (failed drive)

I use an SC1430 and a Dell 5/ir HBA. There are four SATA drives... 2 are setup as RAID0 and the other two RAID1.

I was getting terrible performance, but in the BIOS for the HBA I noticed the drives were running at 1.5gbps. So I used lsiutil to set them to 3gbps. This worked and the sequential reads went up accordingly.

The downside is that the RAID1 became degraded because of a failed drive. All the options in RAID properties were greyed out so I couldn't synchronise the array. I attached the failed drive to the motherboard using a regular SATA cable and sure enough (after making the drive 'online') all the data was still there. I formatted the drive, plugged it back into the HBA and headed over to the BIOS screen that lets me resynchronise but all the options are still greyed out.

The drive is perfectly healthy so is there a way of getting my RAID1 back online? My last option is of course to backup to a third drive and complete rebuild the array but this will take an age!

Thank you for any help 

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Dell 5/ir RAID1 degraded (failed drive)

Hello.

The controller may be experiencing communication issues. Ensure that the controller and hard drives' firmware is up to date and try replacing the failed drive.

Robert Alakara

Dell EMC | Enterprise Services

0 Kudos
DevaVictrix
1 Copper

RE: Dell 5/ir RAID1 degraded (failed drive)

Thank you for your reply.

My firmware is all up to date. I don't think I need to buy a new drive because the one I have is in good condition. The SMART report shows that the drive is in tip top condition.

When I am attempting to resynchronise the array does my 'new' drive need to be partitioned? I don't understand why the options in RAID properties are greyed out. I will try doing a secure erase to see if that helps.

0 Kudos