Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 18th, 2016 19:00

Dell C2100 unknown backplane?

Hi all,

I am upgrading my Dell C2100 FS12-TY system with the MEZZANINE 6GBPS SAS RAID CONTROLLER 85M9R. I am trying to get more information on my systems backplane, part number GCK3W that has the single SFF-8484 connector, but I am having a very hard time finding anything about this board! What is this thing?!

I know that there is another backplane (9NXC7 shown below) which has two mini SAS SFF-8087 connectors and is much more common, and another one (not shown) that is simply a one-to-one backplane.

Whats the story with the GCK3W? What are its specs? How is it different from the 9NXC7 shown above (besides the interface cable)? Will it work with the 85M9R SAS Controller for the C2100 motherboard? It seems (based on the connectors) like the 85M9R is designed to interface with the 9NXC7 backplane. I bought an SFF-8087 to SFF-8484 cable to connect my newly acquired 85M9R to the GCK3W, but now I am thinking this wont work because the 9NXC7 has a jumper to set it to work with the LSI or PERC device (I am using the PERC 6i device with the GCK3W currently). My backplane has no such jumper (that I can tell...NO DOCUMENTATION!...) and I am now thinking it will only work with the PERC 6i.

Can anyone shine some light on this? Should I swap the GCK3W for the 9NXC7?

For your viewing pleasure, I shall effectively tripple the number of pictures of this rare bird that I have been able find after many Google searches....

• 

8.4K Posts

January 19th, 2016 07:00

Radensb,

The board you are referring to (GCK3W) looks like it is the original revision of the backplane for the custom FS12-TY, which differs from the C2100, as it is a custom BIOS and hardware. The GCK3W backplane doesn't even look to have been offered on the C2100 itself. I am researching the part history, but it is very limited for that backplane.

5 Posts

January 19th, 2016 10:00

Thank you Chris! I really appreciate your help figuring this out.

Here is some more info on my system if this helps:

BIOS: S99Q3B15

Build Date 09/20/10
FW: 01 01.64
You mentioned this could be a custom FS12-TY with a custom BIOS and hardware. This makes me a bit nervous. Does that mean I cannot update it? I did notice that the BIOS starts with an " S", while the BIOS updates on DELL start with a " C" (ie: C99Q3B15 vs S99Q3B15).
Just looked up my serial number on the Dell site. Looks like my unit is still under warranty until June 2016?
Neat.
This was under the Components Section:
CLOUD, DCS 2100, 1xE5606, 32G B, 12 X 146GB,1xPERC6/I w/Batt , TENCENT A5

I can PM you the Serial Number/Express Service Code too if that helps. I read that I am not supposed to post that information publicly...

5 Posts

January 21st, 2016 10:00

Still no word on this part yet?

Since it is so uncommon, would it be advisable to swap it out for the 9NXC7 part? I know that the DCS (Dell Custom Solutions) versions of the C2100, FS12-TY, were different from the standard C2100. Would a swap cause any compatibility issues? As I mentioned, I plan to use the LSI SAS2008 Daughter Card to support the front drive array on the backplane.

3 Posts

January 29th, 2018 07:00

Hi all,

Could someone help?

I replaced a backplane with 9NXC7 (CN-09NXC7-71703-05E-005 Rev A00, P\N DAS99THAABO Rev.B) at Dell C2100 FS12-TY and after that Server can't power on.

If I plug old original backplane (QTFUP004800194, P\N DAS45TB15G0 Rev:G) the server is turned on.

System log:

System BootSPS FW Health: Node manager sensor, internal error, extended error code is 11 
System BootSPS FW Health: Node manager sensor, internal error, extended error code is 13 
System BootSPS FW Health: Node manager sensor, internal error, extended error code is 212 
System BootSPS FW Health: Node manager sensor, internal error, extended error code is 11

no other notice, and I don't know that errors at system boot, can't find a description of that extended errors.

So, I just plug a power cord to 9NXC7 - server can't power on

when unplug power cord from 9NXC7 - server powers on.

Could someone explain, that's going on ?

Thanks anyway.

p.s. can't get support at Dell Support center, cause needed a service tag - back side of my server haven't any tags

Dell Support phones only at another country and I can't call.

1 Message

July 16th, 2018 20:00

Hi,

were you able to make any progress?  I tried various combinations of J46, j47 and J48 to no avail (the drive LEDs did blink differently though)

3 Posts

October 12th, 2018 03:00

so, I found out, that backplane can't power up the server, cause it was has a short circuit. any service with soldering iron and oscilloscope can resolve that trouble. after that I got another trouble, controller didn't see a backplane with miniSAS SFF8087 cables. so, I found out, that 9NXC7 need special cables SFF8087. now trying to get CNVF0 cables and some another to check. p.s. I read many post, where people ask dell about 9NXC7, and no one question was answered, so I found out, that support service of dell is totally incompetent in such matters. In addition, I communicated with the service departments in the USA, Ukraine and Moscow, my concerns about competence were confirmed.
No Events found!