Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

4 Posts

December 18th, 2018 13:00

Dell C6220 / LSI 9265-8i / ST900105SS - Hard drives not bein

Team,

I have a Dell Server Chassis C6220 and I'm using a LSI MegaRaid SAS 9265-8I raid card.  The hard drives I’m using are ST900105SS

The Raid card is being detected in the BIOS but when I go in to the WEB BIOS none of the hard drives are seen.  The drives are in the correct slots and they go green when the correct server is powered up. I have also checked all the cabling and they are correct and tight.

Items I have tried:

--4 different LSI 9265-8I raid cards and 4 different server NODEs  with the same results

--different C6220 NODE slots and even a second Dell C62220 chassis all together.

-- tried various hard drives as well

I called Dell support to pay for support but  they claim this was a “custom server configuration” and they don’t have anyone who could assist.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Matt

• 

6.2K Posts

December 19th, 2018 10:00

Hello

If support advised you that it is a custom solution then it is not a C6220. It is likely one of our Data Center Solutions systems. DCS systems are based on Cloud systems like the C6220, but they are built specifically for a customer. They may be identical to the cloud model they are based on, may have custom hardware, or may have custom BIOS/firmware.

If you purchase a DCS system second hand then I suggest you use the system as-is. I would not try to update BIOS, firmware, or try to change any of the hardware.

The 9265 on the C6220 uses what appears to be a proprietary SAS cable. The connectors are likely industry standard, but it is broken out from two connectors to multiple connectors. I have two different cables listed, one is for a 1U and the other is for a 2U.

85C6Y - 1U
X4D23 - 2U

I'm not sure what webserver you are referring. I'm assuming you are talking about the BMC web server. I am not sure the drives will show in that interface. You will likely need to boot into the controller BIOS to view or configure the drives. I have the controller BIOS listed as CTL H to enter.

We do not have documentation, drivers, or downloads available for DCS systems.

Thanks

4 Posts

December 20th, 2018 08:00

It's a C6220 chassis and a 1U node for the system.

we then purchased the LSI 9265-8i card and hard drives ST900105SS

We did purchase it second hand and we have not upgraded the bios.

The 4 raid cards i purchased all came with the 85C6Y cable and I've made the connections per the C6220 guide.

The WebBios I was mentioning is the CTL - H option to configure raid.  It's called a WebBIOS and it's the interface for the LSI card to configure raid.

Would anything be needed in the dell c6220 bios to make the drives visible?

I don't think it's a hardware issue as I have the same issue with 2 chassis / 4 1U nodes for the C6220 and 4 different raid cards.

I don't believe this is a custom system, I'm not sure why the service tag is coming up as such.  It's just a regular 1U node.

4 Posts

December 20th, 2018 10:00

Daniel Mysinger

I also took out the raid card and I still do not see any of the drives in the bay.  Should I see the SAS hard drives in the bios or when I boot an operating system (ex: ESXI) ?  At this time I do not so I don't believe the raid card or the cable is the issue.

1 Message

August 19th, 2020 10:00

Hi, were you able to fix the problem?
I would like to buy the same c6220(used) server with the Dell LSI2008 or Dell LSI-9265-8i controller board, but I read your post and stopped by the purchase.
Could you please give me your feedback?

thank you very much

Eddy

No Events found!