Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2004 11:00

Dell PowerEdge 2500 Hard Drive Question

Greetings,

We have a Dell PowerEdge 2500 server with 4 18GB Hard Drives on the Raid controller.  We have room to install 2 more drives because the tape backup is also installed.  Now we are trying to gain more storage options with minimal work as far as messing too much with the server.  I was wondering if we installed two new hard drives on the system, will there be anything required to do or will it automatically recognize them and start using them for storage?

Forgive me, I am not used to the Raid system.  I usually work on servers with one hard drive, so I may sound a bit idiotic.

Joel

44 Posts

October 5th, 2004 13:00

Greetings,

I was reposting to see if anyone had any input on this topic as far as adding hard drives to our RAID controller.

Thanks, Joel

October 5th, 2004 15:00

If you have a hardware array, you can add the drives to the array using Dell Open Manage Array Manager. Do you know what model PERC controller is in the server? Also would help to know firmware version and operating system. You will see the PERC model and firmware version when the server POSTs. Should see something like "Dell Poweredge Expandable RAID controller3 Di...frmw 2.1-3" .

44 Posts

October 5th, 2004 16:00

Hi John,

Excuse any stupidity on my part, I have been doing computers and networks for over 11 years but this is really my first bout with RAID.

So I checked in the system properties and found that we have:

1-Apaptec AIC-7899 Ultra 160/m PCI SCSI Card
1-Dell PERC 3/Di RAID Controller

Also, the OS is Windows 2000 Server and the Firmware version of the controller I am not sure on.  We'd have to take the server down which has to be planned because it serves 3 offices around the world.  Is there another way to get the FW info?

Thanks,
Joel

October 5th, 2004 20:00

If you have Dell Open Manage Array Manager installed, you can open Array manager, right click on the PERC Controller and go to properties. It should show the firmware version. If array manager is not loaded, the only way to tell is by rebooting.

44 Posts

October 6th, 2004 14:00

John,

Interesting, I went to the properties however the ArrayManager does not show the controller.  So I went into the Array Utilities and went to the "Versions" tab and that says that the PERC2 is not installed, but passed.  How can that be?  Is the SCSI controller maybe controlling the hard drives?  It makes no sense to me.  The Array program is version 4.51 and we are running IE 6.0 on the server.

Joel

October 6th, 2004 18:00

Joel, there are some older utilities called PERC2 console and/or FAST. If you have these products and you are running Windows 2000 Server, recommend you uninstall them and load Array Manager version 3.41. Below is a link for Dell Open Manage Array manager.

44 Posts

October 6th, 2004 19:00

I just checked throughout the start menu, no PERC2 Console or FAST.  Only the Dell OpenManage Array Version 4.51.

Joel

October 7th, 2004 20:00

Joel, The version 4.51 is thowing me off. The latest version of array manager is 3.6. Below is a link to array manager 3.41. It seems to work better with Windows 2000 server. Try loading this.

Array Manager

44 Posts

October 13th, 2004 16:00

Hi John,

I downloaded the update.  I have a question, if the system is using SCSI is anything going to be affected by installing this ArrayManager?  I just want to make sure that we are not going to affect anything with the server by installing this download.  Otherwise, pending hearing from you on that, I am ready to install it.

Joel

October 13th, 2004 18:00

Array Manager will not effect the straight scsi controllers in the server.  The scsi controllers will appear and you will be able to see them in the  Array manager console.

44 Posts

October 13th, 2004 18:00

OK, will do that and post back when finished.  Most likely tomorrow or Friday.  thanks,

Joel

44 Posts

October 19th, 2004 13:00

John,

Attempted to update the ArrayManager, but we are actually out of room on the C: Drive and it would not run the setup file.  Suggestions?

Joel

October 22nd, 2004 20:00

Joel, You probably need to make some space on the C: partition, maybe delete some files that are not needed, move page file to the D: partiton if you have one, etc. In the bios of the perc controller (Cntrl-A) you can build another container with the two additional drives and use the additional space, but you can't add the two drives to the current container in the bios--you have to use something like Array Manager.
John

44 Posts

October 7th, 2005 15:00

John, Sorry it took so long but we got everything in order thanks to your assistance...

Thanks Again for taking the time,
Joel
No Events found!