Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Message

June 9th, 2021 05:00

Dell PowerEdge R630 nvme disks

Hello everyone,

I have a PowerEdge R630 server and need to connect nvme disks to it. Are there any original adapters I can use to do this?

121 Posts

March 7th, 2022 04:00

no.. 

i mean when i compare nvme disk  using dell gen13 vs gen14, the speed output gen14 is better much faster compared to previous gen.

actually the pci-e gen is same 3.0 with 4x 8x 16x..

• 

278 Posts

March 7th, 2022 06:00

Hello hendranata, 

Thank you for choosing Dell.
I would like to ask you some additional questions which could help in troubleshooting:
Could you please share the model of NVME? 
What model of 14th generation PowerEdge server you used for test? 
What PERCs are installed in both servers? 
In which slots you installed NVME disk? 
Are drivers on both servers updated?

Please let me know if you have any questions, 
Thank you.

1 Message

March 9th, 2022 05:00

Hi Hendranata, did you have any luck on booting from the NVMe disk?

I am moving away from USB and SD booting to M.2 or NVMe. All disk bays are used for VM storage.

1 Rookie

• 

64 Posts

April 11th, 2022 14:00

Thank you.  Is RAID supported across the NVMe drives?

• 

3.6K Posts

April 11th, 2022 18:00

Hi, no I'm afraid not, you have to use RAID (OS level) or JBOD. Hope this helps.

6 Posts

April 23rd, 2022 11:00

Hello,

Did you solve your problem? I'm also installing NVME on my DELL R630 server, and I'm also having big performance issues in PCI.

121 Posts

April 23rd, 2022 17:00

Not solved. Pcie r630 maximum only able to reach 1gbps. Meanwhile we use dell gen14 yes they can maximum the pcie performance 

i have no idea. Bios backplane idrac and more already updaded

• 

3.6K Posts

April 24th, 2022 20:00

Hi  folks because R630 is quite dated, having MVME doesn’t really help the speed, I'm afraid. You could technically use it but again we cannot expect the speed performance. Sorry I can’t be of help.

121 Posts

April 24th, 2022 20:00

windows os can reach io speed 2-3Gbps..

meanwhile linux os only maximum 1.3Gbps..

that is wired for us..

• 

3.6K Posts

April 24th, 2022 22:00

Hi, I'd think best if the question is directed to the OS companies since the difference comes from those. Sorry I can't be of help this time. Wish you a good one.

13 Posts

July 4th, 2022 01:00

Hi there

Quick side-question - I have three Dell Poweredge R630 servers with the 8-bay enclosure. 

Server 1: R630 with Perc H730 - 8 Bay
Server 2: R630 with Perc H330 - 8 Bay
Server 3: R630 with Perc H730 - 10 Bay

I'm looking to install a single Large U.2 PCIe NVMe SSD in each one (Like the Kingston DC 1500M Data Center U.2 PCIe NVMe) 

For the 8 bay models, do i need both a "DELL POWEREDGE R630 SERVER SSD NVMe PCIe EXTENDER EXPANSION CARD KIT GY1TD K9TVP" and "K9Tvp For Dell Poweredge R630 Ssd Nvme Extender Expansion Card Cable Gy1Td"

If that's the solution, would the card go in, then just connect the cables to the ports on the backplane where I plan to use the NVME U2 drives? I cant recall if there were 8 separate connectors or one big one

Second, is the connector for the drive the same as the current SAS drives in there (I have SATA and SAS drives in them)

I'm reading that a U.2. port is backwards compatible to SAS and SATA. So, the question is would the card I mentioned above replace the current 

So, just curious how this new card, if it is the correct card, would interface with the 8-bay servers.

Thanks for your time and help

• 

3.2K Posts

July 4th, 2022 06:00

Hi,

the GY1TD is a PCIe card with 8 Ports on the front to connect 8 internal cables

I am not allowed to post internal Pictures via Community Forum.

Did you have any other questions?

Regards Martin

13 Posts

July 6th, 2022 04:00

Thank you Martin - I guess I'll try to summarize my questions

1. The native 8-drive version of the poweredge R630 does not support the NVMe drives?

2. If we add the card (GY1TD), would that give the backplane support for NVMe drives? Would i be backwards compatible with the existing drives I have?

3. If we add that, would it replace the current connection to the backplane? (I don't even recall if the default configuration connects directly to the motherboard or .. ?)

4. Also, are we limited to the transfer speeds on teh R630 with an NVMe connected either to the backplane or if we get a PCI card?

5. Can we install a PCI card and do an M.2 type enterprise SSD? What is the max on this?

Thanks for your 

• 

3.2K Posts

July 6th, 2022 06:00

Hi,

maybe this thread could answer your questions because it is not so easy to change the configuration.

our Sales team also could provide you with an offer with all the needed parts for your plan.

Regards Martin

13 Posts

July 10th, 2022 09:00

Am I able to install a PCI card to support M.2 NVMe SSDs instead? I've already accepted that my 8-bay models will not support NVMe U.2 and my 10-bay model will bottleneck it. So, not worried about booting, can I install a PCI card and install M.2 instead? thanks once again

No Events found!