Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 11th, 2010 08:00

Dell PowerEdge T300 onboard RAID 5 "redundancy failed" error in Windows Server 2008

My T300 has recently been showing a "Redundancy failed" in the Windows Server Manager Disk Management section.  However, I cannot seem to be able to track the issue otherwise from the Dell Server Administrator or other tools.  It is currently configured with 3 1T drives and the onboard SATA adapter.  The drives are accessible otherwise.  I do not see any SATA messages at boot, which is also suspicious.

How do I track down this issue?  Shouldn't I see SATA configuration messages at boot? This seems like it could be a serious error.

TIA

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 11th, 2010 09:00

I'm assuming you are running a software (Windows-managed) RAID 5 ... Server Administrator cannot monitor Windows-managed RAID arrays.  If you are receiving a Redundancy message on a software RAID, about all you can do is test the drives to see which is bad.  However, this should also show in Disk Management.  To test the drives you can use 32-bit (bootable by F10 Utility Partition or downloadable in bootable form from Support Site), or the Online Diagnostics may be able to test them from Windows (choose Quick Test).

8 Posts

August 12th, 2010 01:00

Yep.  I'd forgotten I'd gone without the PERC6i. That would explain my performance issues too.

Thanks for the lightning reply.

November 29th, 2010 00:00

I'm assuming you are running a software (Windows-managed) RAID 5 ... Server Administrator cannot monitor Windows-managed RAID arrays.  If you are receiving a Redundancy message on a software RAID, about all you can do is test the drives to see which is bad.  However, this should also show in Disk Management.  To test the drives you can use 32-bit (bootable by F10 Utility Partition or downloadable in bootable form from Support Site), or the Online Diagnostics may be able to test them from Windows (choose Quick Test).

I understand this part, It helps me out of the problem, It's very detailed, Thanks for your analysis!
No Events found!