Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2011 02:00

Dell Poweredge 1905 Hard Drive Swap

Hi

We have a Dell poweredge 1905 server which runs our Mitel telephone system,  it uses a PERC 5i raid setup and had 4 x 73GB disks. Last week one of the drives started displaying amber light, instaed of troubleshooting we just put a new drive in. THe drive mounted fine after about 1/2 hour and shows as online when using Dell SAS RAID Storage Manager.

The only issue we have is the two lights on the front of HD cradle , both lights are a solid green. The other disks have a solid light to show active and the other only flashes when there is hard drive activity/

Any help would be much appreciated i have my manager breathing down my neck on this one :emotion-1:

Thanks

Dan

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 09:00

1. Is this a Dell-certified drive, or a generic/retail drive?  Non-certified drives may lack the "know-how" to properly display its status to the system.

2. Is the "background initialization" still in progress?  (It might show on RAID Storage Manager, but you might need OpenManage Server Administrator - Storage, PERC, Virtual Disks - to see this information.)  It may not change to normal status until the BI is completed.

October 4th, 2011 01:00

No i dont think it is a dell certified disk, in openmanage it shows as Fujitsu with revision 3701 but the other 3 disks show as Dell revision D108.

I cannot see in openmamage any where that shows the BI is still running.

1.2K Posts

October 4th, 2011 04:00

Try un-blinking the disk, in open manage navigate to the physical disk and select un-blink from the actions drop down menu then execute. It may work.

October 4th, 2011 05:00

I have tried un-blinking but it has made no change.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 4th, 2011 09:00

While drive status lights are pretty standard, they are not universal, and the fact that this is not a certified drive may simply mean that it doesn't know how to properly display its status (or at least in the same way as the others).  Sometimes with non-certified drives you experience worse problems than status lights.

No Events found!