txjeeper1
1 Copper

Dell Poweredge R710 Not booting after hot swapping drives

I am having an issue with one of our DVR servers. There where two drives that where giving me issues. One had completely failed and the other was imminent. I replaced the bad drive first, gave it some time to get the info on the drive, and then swapped out the second drive. When I swapped the second drive the system rebooted itself. When it came back up it had a foreign configuration detected error. I went in and cleared that error, and tried rebooting. When it rebooted it got to the PXE boot sequence, and then tries to boot and cannot find anything to boot from. Please help. RAID 5.

Here are the specs on the system

System summary
<Removed order details summary. Please do not paste pages of text into a post>
0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Dell Poweredge R710 Not booting after hot swapping drives

Hello

There where two drives that where giving me issues. One had completely failed and the other was imminent. I replaced the bad drive first, gave it some time to get the info on the drive, and then swapped out the second drive.

How much time did you give it? RAID 5 can only run in a degraded state with a maximum of one drive offline. If a second drive goes offline then the array will go from a degraded to a failed state. Did you wait for the replacement drive to rebuild and go to an online state before replacing the other drive that was online?

When it came back up it had a foreign configuration detected error. I went in and cleared that error, and tried rebooting.

When you say that you cleared that error what do you mean? Did you choose the "Clear Foreign Configuration" option? That option deletes the array data from the drives.

How important is this data? Do you have a valid tested backup? Which RAID controller are you using for the array?

If you pulled an online drive while the array was already degraded due to an offline drive and then cleared the foreign configuration then the array metadata tags are wiped from the drives. You can attempt to recover the array by recreating the same array type across the same drives with the same settings. You would then offline the first drive you replaced and then try to boot to the OS. If you do it correctly then the data may still be intact. You need to be sure of three things:

1. All of the array settings need to be the same as the old array - stripe size, number of disks, RAID level
  2. Do NOT choose the option to initialize the array. That will delete the data.
  3. Be sure to offline the replacement drive that you installed first. If you start up the system with that blank drive in an online state then it will start syncing with the other drives and delete the data.

If the data is important and you don't have a backup then you should contact a data recovery company.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
Highlighted
lfeldman
1 Nickel

RE: Dell Poweredge R710 Not booting after hot swapping drives

Great advice as always.

If you can't resolve the problem and don't have a valid tested backup you can contact ACE Data Recovery at 877-304-7189 or datarecovery.net/dell

We're a Dell Collaborative Support partner for data recovery, so we'd be glad to help.

Thanks

Leon

0 Kudos