Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2015 03:00

Dell Poweredge R720xd and PERC H730P RAID Controller - What cable to use?

Hi,

I have a Dell R720xd that didn't come with a RAID controller.  It came with an LSI SAS 9207-8i host bus adapter.  I have since acquired a PERC H730P RAID Controller, which needs to be installed.  The RAID Controller didn't come with any SAS cables.  I understand that I need a Y type SAS cable to connect the backplane to the SAS connector on the system board as shown in figure 13 at the following link:

http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/ar/en/ardhs1/Topic/poweredge-r720/720720XDOMPublication_A06-v3/en-us/GUID-460EA053-A7D7-4D92-AED5-FAED86F44D0E

The figure shows cabling between hard-drive backplane and system board (2.5 inch (x24) SAS/SATA Backplane—PowerEdge R720xd).

My R720xd has a 2.5" backplane.  i.e. the front looks like this:

The figure shows removing and installing the 2.5” (x24) SAS/SATA backplane—PowerEdge R720xd

What is the correct part number for the SAS cable that I  need to buy to connect the backplane to the SAS connector on the system board? 

Currently, there are 2 separate SAS cables that connect the backplane to the LSI HBA 9207-8I SAS Controller.  They will not physically fit into the SAS connector on the motherboard.  I believe I need the Y type cable as shown in the first diagram above.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 7th, 2015 07:00

Jfly,

The cable you would need to connect the raid controller, as seen below, is part number Y1MGK.

That being said, there is one issue that I am seeing. Which is that you are trying to connect an H730p. The H730p is a 13th generation controller, where the R720 is a 12th generation server. The supported controller for the R720 would be the H710p (part number TY8F9). Just letting you know that there may be compatibility issues.

Let me know if this helps.

11 Posts

August 7th, 2015 09:00

Hi Chris,

I forgot to mention that I have an H730P Mini Adapter, which doesn't have any ports.  It connects directly to the mainboard as shown in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-1QeUF9vKQ&index=3&list=PL31B0B5F781F456F5

I presume this means the backplane needs to be connected to the RAID via the SAS Connector on the mainboard, which only accepts one connector.

The cable you posted is the same one that I currently have connected to the LSI HBA SAS Controller that came with the server.  It doesn't fit into the SAS connector on the System board as it has two heads.

According to this thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/t/19471857

The connector I need for the 2.5" HDD Backplane, as seen below, is part number:  MJCP4

Are you able to confirm if this is the right cable?

Regarding your comment about the H730p being a 13th generation controller, I am aware that it may not be supported for the R720xd and understand that Dell may not provide technical support for this setup.  However, the controller should still work right?  The H710p wasn't readily available in Australia, so we purchased the H730p instead.  Do you know if other people have had success with this combination?

Edit:

I just tried installing H730p Mini RAID Controller and it doesn't seem like it will fit onto the R720xd system board.   Is this the compatibility issue you're talking about?

11 Posts

August 7th, 2015 11:00

After a bit of reading, it looks like I might have the wrong RAID Controller for the R720xd.

Am I correct it saying that:

1. The Dell PERC H730P Mini Mono (7H4CN) RAID Controller will not physically fit on the system board of the Dell R720xd.  Therefore, it is of no use to me.
  2. The Dell PEC H730P (X4TTX) RAID Controller may fit in one of the PCI-E slots, but will require SAS cables with MINI SAS SFF-8643 connectors.  This controller is also not supported on the R720xd.  It may work, it may not.
  3. The Dell PERC H710P Mini Mono (TY8F9, YTF8R, N3V6G, TTVVV ) RAID Controllers will physically fit on the system board of the Dell R720xd.  They are supported on the R720xd and will require the MJCP4 cable.  Does anyone know what the differences are between the 4 part numbers ((TY8F9, YTF8R, N3V6G, TTVVV )?
  4. The Dell PERC H710P (Not sure about the part number) RAID Controller will fit in one of the PCI-E slots.  It is supported on the R720xd and will require a Y1MGK cable, which I already have.

I just want a RAID controller capable for RAID 5,6 or 10 for the R720xd.  Can someone point me in the right direction.  It looks like I have already purchased an incorrect controller.  I don't want to make the same mistake again.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 7th, 2015 15:00

Jfly,

You are correct on your first 2 points.

With the 3rd question. The difference is that the N3V6G is the TTVVV's replacement, then the TY8F9 is the 3rd generation. I am not certain of the YTF8R you listed, but am checking on it.

Regarding #4 - The MJCP4 cable is what you will need, the Y1mGk is is for the integrated controller. 

Let me know how it goes.

11 Posts

August 7th, 2015 17:00

Thanks for your answers Chris.

Regarding #4 - The MJCP4 cable is what you will need, the Y1mGk is is for the integrated controller. 

When you say "integrated controller", are you talking about the Mini Mono version?  The The Dell PERC H710P (PCI-E version) fits into a PCI-E slot and has two SAS ports on the card:

The MJCP4 cable has 2 connectors on one end and one (wider) connector on the other.  With 2 ports on the controller, I am assuming I will need a cable with 2 connectors on one end (to connect to the backplane) and 2 connectors on the other end (to connect to the controller ports as shown above).  Which is why I thought the Y1MGK cable would be more suitable.  

Isn't the MJCP4 cable used to connect the backplane to the SAS controller on the system board when the Mini Mono version is used?

With regards to model numbers for the PCI-E version of the H710P, what's the difference between these 3 models:

• 7GCGT
  • JJ8XD
  • VM02C

11 Posts

August 12th, 2015 05:00

I have been browsing through the manual for the Dell Poweredge R720/R720xd and found a table suggesting the Dell PERC H710P (PCI-E) Controller isn't supported on the R720xd:

http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/au/en/aubsd1/Topic/poweredge-r720xd/720720XDOM-v3/en-us/GUID-BCD3BDFB-3602-4B79-A994-1E5385B9F9F3

It's in Table 2 ("Expansion Card Installation Order") of the above link.

Chris (or anybody from Dell), are you able to confirm this?  

Does this mean the H710P Mini Mono version is the only H710P model that will work on the R720xd?  

If so, can you confirm the cable with part number MJCP4 is the correct cable to use for the H710P Mini Mono (TY8F9).

On that same table, it also says the PERC H810 is supported on the R720xd.  That model seems to be more readily available locally.  Are you able to tell me which cable I need to connect it to the backplane? 

Apologies if I sound like a broken record and keep asking the same questions.  I just want to be absolutely sure I am purchasing the right equipment the second time round.  I never thought buying a compatible RAID card would be this hard.

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 08:00

" I never thought buying a compatible RAID card would be this hard."

Amen to that, just been through this pain trying to work out what we need, doesn't help that half the Dell shop is labelled incorrectly. H710p with 512MB cache on the name? Nope, that doesn't exist.

And now we've found "kit" doesn't include a cable, very poor. :(

1 Message

February 16th, 2017 01:00

Hi Chris,

I have a Dell R730xd with PERC H730P Mini.

It came with an LSI SAS 9207-8e not i so no connector for the cable ref Y1MGK.

The LSI SAS 9207-8e is after connected to an MD1280 storage

I cannot see the hard drive from my dell MD1280 true the PERC H730P Mini raid manager any idea ?

No Events found!