Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2014 14:00

Dell R410 SAS6/iR controller/backplane/cable failure on two different servers.

I have two Dell R410s manufactured in June of 2010.  The SAS 6/iR controller. the hot swap backplane or cabling is starting to fail.  Both servers have reported a drive gone "missing" in the status within a week of each other.  It's the same exact problem on both servers.  The drive in bay 0 has mysteriously gone "missing".  Replacing the "missing" drives with new drives did NOT fix the problem.  The drives had to be moved to different drive bays in order to get them working again.  There's now a second drive bay gone bad on the of the servers, which is now bay 1.  Again, replacing the drive does NOT help, only moving the drive to another bay and now I'm quickly running out of working drive bays.

Is there a known problem with the Dell R410 with the SAS 6/iR hotswap backplane either with the controller, backplane or related cabling?  This is too much of a coincidence for it to be some random problem.  Two machines manufactured the same day (service tags are one digit apart) both have the same exact problem after a little over 4 years in production.

• 

8.5K Posts

December 15th, 2014 16:00

Hi,

I sent an email to the email listed on your account.

2 Posts

January 27th, 2015 06:00

Can you please let me know a solution to this also?

• 

8.5K Posts

January 27th, 2015 09:00

I emailed you as well.

3 Posts

March 16th, 2016 23:00

Seems a little silly we can't just post it here but I also would like a copy of the solution please.

Thank You.

3 Posts

March 16th, 2016 23:00

Can I also receive an email with solution as well.

Thank You

(Duplicate please remove)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 17th, 2016 08:00

You kind of opened a can of worms here, Josh. Can you send me what you sent to him? There is no reason to keep this private.

• 

8.5K Posts

March 17th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

The reason why it was taken offline was to get the service tag of the systems with the issue. Have you tried reseating the SAS cable? You can replace the SAS cable with part number 2YC3T, which was the fix in their cases, however this isn’t a fix in every case and why emailing service tags was done.

3 Posts

March 17th, 2016 19:00

Gotcha. Well it's good to know the backplane isn't at fault. Thought perhaps there is a known fault there. I actually use a breakaway cable and wire directly to the Sata Ports on the motherboard. I Don't trust hardware raid vs linux Mdadm.

112 Posts

March 18th, 2016 01:00

It is not a secret, the SAS 6IR is a economy controller and is not as robust as say the PERC 6. The SAS 6IR with a raid 1 has a primary drive(drive 0) and a secondary drive (drive 1). The secondary drive always rebuilds from the primary drive and the not vice versa.. If you lose drive 0 you will either need to move drive 1 or the cable to drive or slot 0, or make drive 1 the primary drive in the controller bios. This is the crux of what you are seeing

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 18th, 2016 11:00

That makes sense ... it just sounded like you had a fix but couldn't post it in the forums. Thanks!

No Events found!