PowerEdge HDD/SCSI/RAID

Last reply by 05-20-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell R530 - Drives waking from standby run extremely slow

I'm at a lost ...thought I would come here, I'm using unraid, server is running SATA drives, all drives benched at around 210MB/s at the start

Pretty much what's happening, I have the drives set to spindown after 15 minutes.
Whenever any sort of I/O activity happens, that calls upon the drives to wake up from standby...
If they are woken up by acitivity I get between 60/80MB/s... on each drive...

If I request a spinup, aka I tell the drive to wake from standby.. then proceed to do the same task.. I get my full rated speed

Edit: I should clarify, once the drives spin up due to activity they stay at that speed.. Until I spin themdown, and then request a spinup again

The server came with an H730Mini, I set it to HBA "IT" mode = No Luck
I bought an HBA330Mini = No Luck
I then bought some cables and went direct from backplane to Motherboard with some 8087 cables = No Luck
I then used a 8087 to breakout cable and a jumped psu, to bypass the backplane = No Luck

Am I missing something?

Replies (5)

Hi @16golfr,

Usually the spin down settings are available automated by the PERC card management, I'm unsure if you have done the spin down configuration differently? 

If the configuration is done manually, I'm unable to provide any feedback about your issue, we might need to wait for any public user to provide their own input about their experience similar to yours. 

DELL-Joey C
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

I did see spin down settings with the H730, I think it was defaulted at 30mins

But connecting to the hbas passes it off to the OS, which then controls it IIRC

Hi,

did i understand you have the problem only if you connect this to the hbas?

Regards Martin

Martin Schiemenz
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

Edit: this is the response I got from Unraid
"I don't see anything unusual in the diags.  Starting a parity check on spun-down drives will cause them to spin up via I/O, meaning there is no explicit "spin up" command sent to the drive, instead it spins itself up due to I/O.  The 'Spin-up All' button sends an explicit spin-up command to each drive, well actually it tells the drive to exit 'standby' state.  Maybe the controller or those drives, has some kind of power saving feature whereby spin-up by I/O leaves drive in an "in between" state where it's not at full performance in an effort to save power? - but that doesn't make much sense to me."

Doesn't matter what I do...

H730Mini "set to non-raid,passthrough" aka HBA mode to Backplane
HBA330 Mini to Backplane
Motherboard Mini-Sas to Backplane
Motherboard Mini-Sas Direct to Drives "I jumped a spare atx psu, to give sata power"

This is my end result
Unraid Server H730 - YouTube

If you don't use unraid, might be hard to understand
I show me starting a parity check with disk spun down.. Unraid is not doing anything to the drives, it's just waking up due to I/O activity.. Garbage speeds..
I then spin down the disk <- I request it to be put in standby "or whatever it's called"
I then request the drives to wake up....

Now all the drives are up, I do something that requires I/O.. Zero Issues/ Full Performance

Could it be these dell drives "Toshiba" ?

16golfr,

Would you confirm if the server is up to date on the BIOS, iDrac, H730, HBA330, and specifically the drives?

If not I would start with updating everything and see if that resolves it. 

Chris Hawk
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions