Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2017 03:00

Dell R530, add low speed drives

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to add SATA drives to a dell R530, create a new array and use them within VM.

I'm thinking about this option to store the "File History" of about 20 computer on our network and need about 6TB. The price of SAS drives is a bit prohibitive for that much space so I was wondering is SATA would be an alternative.

Regards

12 Posts

September 20th, 2017 06:00

As far as I know it mostly comes to what Perc adapter You have to be sure but I never used one that doesn't support SATA drives. If 6TB is what You need You will have to consider how many drives You want to use to get the capacity. 6TB drives might not be supported by Your Perc controller at all, or You will have to do firmware upgrade.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 20th, 2017 07:00

Yes, it will take SATA, but if they are not Dell-certified, you can run in to several different issues. They may or may not work. Your subject said "low speed" drives ... desktop/laptop and NAS drives are NOT suitable for use on servers. Like the WD Red - horrible server drive. Stick to enterprise-class SATA at the very least, certified if you value the data.

No Events found!