Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

May 15th, 2020 11:00

Dell poweredge t110ii

Hi all,

Thanks for letting me join your forum! 

I'm thinking of buying a dell poweredge t110ii to use for NAS over local network. However this will be my first server/setup so I'm a little unsure if my thoughts are likely to work in practice  

I intend to use x4 3.5" sata 2tb HDDs 

Then use a 250gb SSD as cache drive. 

The operating system I intend to use will be unraid so the built in raid options etc won't be used as this apparently causes an issue with the unraid OS. 

I'm unsure of how many HDDs I can have and if it would be possible to have x4 HDDs and an SSD too. 

Thanks in advance

Rob

2.9K Posts

May 15th, 2020 15:00

Glad to have you with us, Rob!

As for the T110II, the manual will definitely be a valuable resource, so let me get that to you.

https://dell.to/365HOwo

The drive cage will only support 4x3.5" drives, so you'd need to make sure you have cabling for data and power, but that shouldn't be much of a https://dell.to/2LwFLIn for mounting the drive, I've hot glued a drive into one of my systems and it worked out perfectly well, but you may need to get creative, too.

The T110II did have validated SSDs, but the system is old enough that I've seen a lot of issues with unvalidated ones. You might get one working perfectly fine, but I'd consider sourcing an older validated SSD, just so you can mitigate compatibility headaches.

2 Posts

May 16th, 2020 15:00

Thanks Dylan,

Wasn't aware of the validation issue with ssd's I'll bare this in mind. 

Having gone through things today, having x4 HDDs in the built in caddy setup, I could buying a mounting adapter plate for the ide drive to go from 5.25 inch to 2.5 inch and slot my SSD in there, I also plan on using one of the onboard usb slots available on the motherboard and connecting a 500gb hard drive for extra storage. 

Can't see there being an issue but am I likely to be pushing it to it's capabilities?

Thanks

Rob

• 

3.1K Posts

May 18th, 2020 03:00

Hi,

You are pusing it to limits of the server. I did try to find out if the internal USB would be able to support larger capacity than a USB flash drive. As the manual only mentioning USB key only. But no information if it supports USB hard drives. 

7 Posts

May 27th, 2020 14:00

I’ve just upgraded from a t110ii but had been using it perfectly with ESXi using a Crucial mx250 SSD and a 4tb & 8tb SATA drives

No Events found!