sumit.anand
1 Nickel

Dell-r610 Server with PERC 6/i controller

Jump to solution

Hello,

M using dell-r610 which is configured with PERC6/i controller, problem is i want to know when i have configured RAID-0 and remove my one of disk, server is unable to get boot, how to resolve this problem ?

again, i want to know:

1. with raid configuration are we able to extend the size of disk (from 2TB to 3TB) without lossing data ?

2. are we able to use this server with no-raid because raid is going to be risky in case of any disk failure and dont want to loss data ...?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
theflash1932
6 Indium

RE: Dell-r610 Server with PERC 6/i controller

Jump to solution

1. Yes, you can, but ONLY IF 1) your system is currently in UEFI boot mode, and 2) you are not currently using a RAID 10 (or have multiple arrays across the disks).

2. No. The PERC 6 does not support non-RAID/JBOD. RAID is ONLY risky if the USER chooses a risky RAID level (RAID 0 should only be used for specific reasons by experienced professionals).

RAID 0 has NO fault tolerance.

0 Kudos
sumit.anand
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

thanks, but again my question is thats good we are able to extend HDD but what if some hdd got fail, after-all these are electronic components,,,,,, so in this case what we have to do ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Don't use RAID 0!

0 Kudos
sumit.anand
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

ok.....and through the dell-r610 manual what i know using sas6/i or perc200 controller we can configure this as non-raid server, so  easily we are able to increase hdd size...here my question is ....... are we able to use that controller with dell-r610 motherboard ?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

SAS 6/iR is good only for basic RAID 1 - you CANNOT grow the array later. It can do non-RAID.

PERC H200 is basically the newer version of the SAS 6.

PERC H700 is also supported in the R610. It CAN grow an existing RAID array by adding disks to your RAID 1 (converting to RAID 5) or to your RAID 5. It is a high-performance controller and  has either 512MB or 1GB of write cache. It does NOT support non-RAID.

0 Kudos
sumit.anand
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Sir, with the existing dell-r610 server are we able to use non-raid setup by changing of raid controller card, and i want to use SATA HDD instead of SAS ..?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Correct. Your PERC 6 does not support non-RAID. Why do you want non-RAID? Why would you use SATA instead of SAS?

0 Kudos
sumit.anand
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

here in our scenario we have to use SATA, and also don't want to use RAID, we want to use full volume of HDD, thats the reason there is lots of confusion.

So what  controller we have to use for this set-up ? (Server is r-610)

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

here in our scenario we have to use SATA

Why? Price? All SAS controllers/connectors can take SATA drives.

So what  controller we have to use for this set-up ?

The H200 and SAS 6/iR will both do non-RAID if you are still set on that.