Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2015 05:00

Dell-r610 Server with PERC 6/i controller

Hello,

M using dell-r610 which is configured with PERC6/i controller, problem is i want to know when i have configured RAID-0 and remove my one of disk, server is unable to get boot, how to resolve this problem ?

again, i want to know:

1. with raid configuration are we able to extend the size of disk (from 2TB to 3TB) without lossing data ?

2. are we able to use this server with no-raid because raid is going to be risky in case of any disk failure and dont want to loss data ...?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 29th, 2015 06:00

1. Yes, you can, but ONLY IF 1) your system is currently in UEFI boot mode, and 2) you are not currently using a RAID 10 (or have multiple arrays across the disks).

2. No. The PERC 6 does not support non-RAID/JBOD. RAID is ONLY risky if the USER chooses a risky RAID level (RAID 0 should only be used for specific reasons by experienced professionals).

RAID 0 has NO fault tolerance.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 29th, 2015 23:00

here in our scenario we have to use SATA

Why? Price? All SAS controllers/connectors can take SATA drives.

So what  controller we have to use for this set-up ?

The H200 and SAS 6/iR will both do non-RAID if you are still set on that.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 30th, 2015 10:00

Not only price actually  server is not going to use for live environment, its used in R&D purpose thats the reasontrying to use this with SATA.

Sounds like price is a primary factor to me - can't justify higher cost of SAS just for R&D. SAS operates exactly the same as SATA as far as the OS and user are concerned. The controller just treats them differently. SAS is much more reliable and performance is higher.

1. Yes. You should always initialize newly-created virtual disks (arrays).

2. Two disks in RAID 0, you remove one, and it stops working. THIS IS NORMAL! RAID 0 stripes the data across all disks in the array. If you remove any of them, the stripe is incomplete, so NO data can be read. This is why you should never use RAID 0. Even a single read/write error will cause data loss/corruption. If you insist on using RAID 0, DO NOT remove any of the drives. In this instance, when the drive is showing as Foreign, it must be imported from the CTRL-R utility. That will probably bring the array back online, but every time it happens substantially increases the possibility of data loss.

i. There is no way to prevent data loss with RAID 0. With RAID 0, you WILL eventually need to resort to your backups. Even if no drives go offline/fail, you will eventually experience data loss.

ii. Yes, you can grow your 2-disk RAID 0 to a 4-disk RAID 0, but for all the reasons above, I would not do it. At a minimum, put in four disks and create a RAID 5. Four 250GB disks in a RAID 5 will give you 750GB of usable space; Four 2TB disks in a RAID 5 will give you 6TB of usable space. You should maximize your space by getting larger drives, not using RAID 0. Four 2TB disks in a RAID 10 would give you 4TB of usable space - this would be the ideal combination of speed and reliability for four disks. How much disk space do you need?

14 Posts

April 29th, 2015 08:00

thanks, but again my question is thats good we are able to extend HDD but what if some hdd got fail, after-all these are electronic components,,,,,, so in this case what we have to do ? 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 29th, 2015 09:00

Don't use RAID 0!

14 Posts

April 29th, 2015 13:00

ok.....and through the dell-r610 manual what i know using sas6/i or perc200 controller we can configure this as non-raid server, so  easily we are able to increase hdd size...here my question is ....... are we able to use that controller with dell-r610 motherboard ?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 29th, 2015 15:00

SAS 6/iR is good only for basic RAID 1 - you CANNOT grow the array later. It can do non-RAID.

PERC H200 is basically the newer version of the SAS 6.

PERC H700 is also supported in the R610. It CAN grow an existing RAID array by adding disks to your RAID 1 (converting to RAID 5) or to your RAID 5. It is a high-performance controller and  has either 512MB or 1GB of write cache. It does NOT support non-RAID.

14 Posts

April 29th, 2015 21:00

Sir, with the existing dell-r610 server are we able to use non-raid setup by changing of raid controller card, and i want to use SATA HDD instead of SAS ..?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 29th, 2015 22:00

Correct. Your PERC 6 does not support non-RAID. Why do you want non-RAID? Why would you use SATA instead of SAS?

14 Posts

April 29th, 2015 23:00

here in our scenario we have to use SATA, and also don't want to use RAID, we want to use full volume of HDD, thats the reason there is lots of confusion.

So what  controller we have to use for this set-up ? (Server is r-610)

14 Posts

April 30th, 2015 00:00

thanku Sir, Not only price actually  server is not going to use for live environment, its used in R&D purpose thats the reasontrying to use this with SATA.

1) One more thing if we go ahead with RAID configuration do we need to initialize it ?

2) what i have done is after configuring RAID-0 (without initialized)i removed one of HDD and trying to start ...its failed to boot....... and then i have insert back the HDD on same port again failed to boot but by doing (ctrl+r) found server hdd treat as foreign disk it seems i have lost data.... do you have any idea where m doing wrong ?

what i m trying to achieve is:

i) In case of RAID-0 (with 4HDD )if any of my disk got failed (either disk failed or by mistake this removed ) not want to loose data....

ii) In RAID-0 trying to increase storage size of server by adding another disk using next 2 empty slots ?

14 Posts

April 30th, 2015 12:00

Thank you sir for  help and detailed information. 

14 Posts

June 16th, 2015 11:00

hello Sir, 

I have new problem and that is some times with i have two SAS 300GB HDD, on which m using esxi5.1,  sometimes server dosent recognize os, and while checking raid status found one disk went to foreign disk and raid shows fail, and when i build raid again and restart the server, server starts with the same os which i was installed earlier 5.1. i want to know why raid fails, i dnt have any technical answer, i faced twice this situation and solved by creating raid again... 

No Events found!