Highlighted
Dekin14
1 Copper

Differnt Revision on new ES.2 drive

I have a dell R720 LFF. All the drives in the server are Dell Constellations ES.2 (ST33000650SS) on Revision 12.

I was sent a replacement drive for one that died after a few days of use and it appears to be on Revision 17. I can't seem to find any answer on if it is possible to downgrade the replacement drive to RS12 from the RS17.

I have downloaded the Seagate Constellation ES.2 RS12.exe from dell's website for RS12 and placed the drive in bay 5 and it does not appear to see the drive in the Seagate install application, but the raid controller can see the drive with a "Failed" status?

Short question, is it possible to downgrade the Revision on the drive from 17 to 12?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Differnt Revision on new ES.2 drive

Dekin14,

I would verify if the server is up to date on its BIOS, iDrac, and raid controller. In regards to the drive I would run diagnostics and see how the drive reports, to see if it is actually failed. If you get to where its accessible I wouldn't suggest trying to bring it to revision 12, but instead I would upgrade the existing drives to revision 16 and then try to backflash the 17 to the 16 revision. 

Hope this helps.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Dekin14
1 Copper

Re: Differnt Revision on new ES.2 drive

Thank you for the reply Chris. I will give this a go hopefully within the next week and update. 

0 Kudos