Highlighted
paulmh5
1 Copper

Disk fails on boot PERC 5i PE 2900

Hi all

I have a Dell PE2900 tower with the Perc 5i card in.

I have a RAID5 storage array with 4 x 2Tb Seagate SATA disks in.  These have been working fine for about 12 months however now every time I reboot the server for updates etc... the drive in slot 6 fails to detect causing the array to be in a degraded state.  After a few seconds the drive reappears and the array rebuilds and all is well.

Is this likely to be a fault on the disk or the Perc card?

The disks are standard ones from a 3rd party (eg not Dell Branded) so come up as uncertified however the dell shop does sell the same version.

Thanks

Paul

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Re: Disk fails on boot PERC 5i PE 2900

You can buy the same model number drive with generic/retail firmware or with Dell firmware (certified).  Using non-certified drives CAN cause issues - immediate or random.

That said, it is more likely your drive has a problem than the controller.  If you have not already done so, reseat that drive to ensure you have a clean connection.  Do the same with the cable on both ends (backplane and controller).  

Which slots do your drives occupy?

I would run diagnostics on your drives, the one in slot 6 in particular.  If all pass, I would suggest you update your BIOS, ESM/BMC, then RAID (driver first) and HDD firmware.

0 Kudos
paulmh5
1 Copper

Thanks for the fast reply.

I've re-seated the drive, just waiting for the array to rebuild which takes about 5 hours emoticon.Sad.title

I assume I'll need to power down the server to reset the internal cables without casing issues.

I currently have drives in all slots.  The 2Tb disks are in 4 - 7.

What diagnotic tools can I use?  I've tried some obvious ones but they are no use in windows as the drive presents as a logical volume rather than physical disk.

My current RAID firmware: 5.2.2-0072

Driver version: 4.05.01.64

Storport driver: 6.1.7601.17577

Paul

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

You mentioned the disk would go offline when you rebooted, so I just figured you could reseat cables when you rebooted next, but yes, you want to have the server powered down to reseat the cables.

Your RAID firmware for the PERC 5/i is up to date.  You just want to make sure your BIOS is at 2.7.0 and your ESM is at 2.37.  I would also check into obtaining a firmware update for the drives from the drive manufacturer.

Online Diagnostics will run fine in 2008 R2 for testing the drives from the OS:

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

If you want something more thorough, you can run 32-bit Diagnostics from bootable media:

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

0 Kudos
paulmh5
1 Copper

Hi.

I've run the online diagnostics after reseating the drive and it didnt show any issues.  My BMC driver is at 1.33 which looks to be out of date.  How do I go about updating that?  I downloaded what I thought was the right thing from the dell site but it wont run in a 64bit OS.  Is there a tool/method of flashing it during boot?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

This is the Update Package for Microsoft Windows, taken from the list of 2008 R2 downloads:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/2684/DriverDetails?DriverId=J5GTM&FileId=2731106031&Driver...

This will not require a reboot, but the fans will speed up during the update and could last up to 10 minutes or more.

0 Kudos