Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

August 16th, 2022 03:00

Enable TRIM on DELL PERC H355 Adapter

Hello,

I have a DELL PERC H355 Adapter configured with RAID 0 using two Western Digital SSD drives.

Windows ScheduledDefrag task performs every week an optimisation of the drive and every time I get the Windows Event 264: Microsoft-Windows-Defrag: The storage optimiser couldn't complete re-trim on Data (D:) because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. (0x8900002A)

Microsoft states that the defragmentation of the SSD drives should be performed once a month to ensure that the NTFS fragmantation limit is not reached even for SSD drives just like for HDD drives. 

However it seem that TRIM is not enabled by the DELL PERC H355 Adapter. 

As additional info: Windows identifies the hard disk as a Local Hard Drive and not as SSD. This is most likely due to the RAID 0 configuration which configures the two physical SSD drives into one  virtual drive. 

How can I enable TRIM so that the Windows ScheduledDefrag task executes without error?

• 

8.4K Posts

August 16th, 2022 07:00

Bpricope,

The issue you're seeing I believe is due to that the TRIM command is not implemented in most hardware-based RAID technologies. However, software RAID implementations often do include support for TRIM. Furthermore, the TRIM feature is supported only on the pass-through SSDs. So with you having the drives configured together in Raid it won't be supported. You can try individually configuring them for passthrough, but I think your best course of action would be to use the software controller on the server. 

Let me know if this helps.

2 Posts

August 17th, 2022 10:00

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply!

May I ask why do you say a a software controller would be a better solution than a modern hardware controller like the H355 ?

I would expect a modern hardware controller like the H355  should be able to take care that the SSD is being cleaned up if the Trim command sent by Windows  is not supported. Is my expectation wrong or does the H355 adapter use other means to clean up the SSD making the lack of TRIM irrelevant?

• 

8.4K Posts

August 17th, 2022 12:00

My understanding is that TRIM in a HW controller only supports HBA mode and not in RAID mode, so the option would be trying passthrough, setting as HBA, or going to the sw controller where it is indeed supported. Let me research this a little further, as I am not certain 100% on the latest controllers.

No Events found!