Currently I have a T420 server with RAID-10 using a PERC H310. There are 4 500GB physical drives in 2 SPANs. Total 1TB space. How do I expand to another 1TB (2TB Total)?
1) I see there are 4 empty drive spaces with blank covers. Can I add 4 new 500GB drives to expand the space to 2TB total?
2) Can I buy 3.5" SATA caddy trays and use standard SATA drives? Can I hot insert these drive in the server?
3) I already installed Del OpenManage software. Can I use this software to expand the RAID-10?
You cannot expand the size of a nested RAID level (10/50/60). You will need to do a backup/restore or create a second RAID 10 for additional server storage.
Can I buy 3.5" SATA caddy trays and use standard SATA drives?
Define "standard". Don't use consumer/desktop/laptop/NAS drives. Enterprise drives at a minimum, Dell-certified if the data or services are critical.
Can I hot insert these drive in the server?
You should always insert/swap hot-swap drives "hot".
I would like to buy 4 1TB Hard Drives to make a new (second) RAID10 (2TB Space).
Which Dell 1TB SATA 3.5in Hot-plug Hard Drive for T420 Server do you recommend?
There are several part numbers and places you could get them ... this one is just for an example. I'd recommend you get Dell-certified drives ... just don't get laptop/desktop/NAS drives for your server.
Are below steps correct procedures to create another 2TB RAID10?
1) Bought your recommended 4 1TB drives
2) Hot insert the 4 drives into the empty slots
3) Use Dell OpenManage to create a new 2TB RAID 10
If you have any online tutorials on how to do this please let me know.