Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DO

42 Posts

August 5th, 2022 04:00

Fault detected on drive 0 in disk drive bay 1 (working out the location)

We have a fault in our server logs

Fault detected on drive 0 in disk drive bay 1.

Does this mean the drive in the bay labelled '0' on the front of the server, or the bay labelled '1' on the server.

I can't find any labels referring to 'drive 0' or 'drive 1' in the Dell OMSA console either - even after expanding the RAID array.

Thanks

42 Posts

August 5th, 2022 09:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying. This is the setup in the OMSA.

So I'm guessing it's the middle one?

These are non-raid so 3 separate drives in RAID-0. 

DaveBOpt_0-1659715867257.png

• 

8.4K Posts

DaveB-Opt,

Without knowing the specifics of the model server and what is installed I will have to generalize. 

The drive designation isn't based on its slot location, so hypothetically lets say you have a 4 drive raid 5, when you configure the drives they will be labeled 0,1,2, and 3 because the designations start at 0 and not at 1. So you may have a drive 0 in any slot, depending on how it was configured at the time. The easiest way to identify the drive, is to access the raid controller - Physical Disks, then in the drop down for the specific drive you can select to blink the lights on the drive in question. 

Now if you are using OpenManage you should be able to identify the drive by graphic representation, or also by flashing the lights of the drives. 

Let me know what you see.

• 

8.4K Posts

If it is Drive 0, then it would likely be the first one, but I am more curious as to what is occurring with the drive, as it is showing ONLINE and running in the screenshot you provided. What else are you seeing that is indicating an issue, such as amber lights and current errors, is the drive showing as a Predicted Failure?

Let me know.

42 Posts

August 11th, 2022 06:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying. So the whole server reboots without notice. It hangs just after POST as we have to manually import the foreign config on the RAID controller. 

Nothing in the event viewer. The drive failure notification was in the hardware log in OMSA.

I suspect its the OS drive that's failing - but we haven't had it long (less than 1 year).

• 

8.4K Posts

August 11th, 2022 07:00

What are the details of the foreign that you see, how many drives, whats their status after import?

In OpenManage, do any of the foreign drives show a Yes under Predicted Failure? If so, what is the status of that drive showing as?

Let me know.

42 Posts

August 11th, 2022 08:00

Hi Chris,

OK let's forget the 3rd drive for now - this is a new drive which will replace the potential faulty one.

So we have 2 drives. Both are in RAID 0 (so one drive per VD).

DaveBOpt_0-1660232513153.png

When looking at the physical server, slot 0 contains the OS drive, and slot 1 contains the DATA drive.

The server crashes randomly (and I've disabled auto-reboot) to initiate a BSOD.

DaveBOpt_3-1660233171828.png

After booting the server we get an error like this

DaveBOpt_4-1660233232185.png

After entering the RAID controller I have to import the foreign config (the DATA drive VD was missing) and also had to clear the preserved cache for the DATA VD drive.

I assumed 'drive bay 1' was referring to the DATA drive in slot 1, but as the OS itself is crashing, it looks more likely to be the drive in slot 0 as you suggested.

All drivers and firmware are up to date on the server and the drives are less than 1 year old so we're unsure what's causing the OS reboot.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• 

8.4K Posts

August 11th, 2022 09:00

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the details. Would you clarify if the drives themselves are also up to date, along with the server?

As far as the drive, what I would suggest we try is running smart diagnostics on them, found here, and see if it also identifies the specific issue with the drive. Depending on the results we can determine the best path forward.

42 Posts

August 11th, 2022 10:00

Thanks Chris - will run this as soon as I can (early next week) and will come back to you.

42 Posts

August 15th, 2022 01:00

Hi Chris,

I can't see any additional drivers to install for our Seagate ‎ST2000DM008 drives. Is this what you were referring to?

DaveBOpt_0-1660551571168.png

I've installed Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics, version 5162 | Driver Details | Dell UK on the R710 but I'm unsure how to actually run it. 

I did find this article but I'm not getting the GUI prompt from step 2 when running the .exe. Can you advise please?

How to run the Dell 32-bit diagnostics to troubleshoot issues on the various components of a PowerEdge server | Dell UK

• 

8.4K Posts

August 15th, 2022 04:00

DaveB-Opt,

What are you seeing when you run the exe? Basically the software, you download the specific version based on the OS, then you run it in that OS and select the type of media you wish to create to boot the server to. 

Let me know what you are actually seeing.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 15th, 2022 05:00

What is the specific OS you are using on that device you are running it on?

42 Posts

August 15th, 2022 05:00

Hi Chris,

I run the .exe and I get 

DaveBOpt_0-1660567743005.png

After clicking install I get this until it completes. No user prompt

DaveBOpt_1-1660567769249.png

• 

8.4K Posts

August 15th, 2022 06:00

It looks like it is only compatible to 2012R2, not 2019. Do you happen to have access to another system with an older OS?

42 Posts

Windows Server 2019 Standard 

DaveBOpt_0-1660568773454.png

42 Posts

Hi,

I do. I'll run this on a Server 2012 R2 on Wednesday and will create the bootable USB.

I don't think we have any USB's smaller than 2GB. Will a partition of < 2GB on a larger drive suffice?

Before running those tests, it would make more sense (from our perspective) to clone the OS drive if we can establish what drive the error code is referring to. The server falls over at the exact same time of the error.

I still cannot find any documentation which explains the location of this disks in the error message - wondered if you can talk me through that?

I understand the OS drive is probably 'disk 0' as it's the first VD in the RAID controller, but the 'drive bay 1' is confusing. Does that mean the first disk in the VD? If this VD had 2 disks, would they be Disk 0 drive bay 1 and Disk 0 drive bay 2?

No Events found!