Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 9th, 2018 09:00

H740P compatible with pm863a drives?

Quick question: If I use pm863a drives from Samsung, will they be supported by the PERC H740P or will there be firmware incompatibilities or any other issues? Dell offers sm863a and pm1663a drives as part of their standard offerings but I don't see anything about the pm863a.

When it comes to support, will Dell be able to help in any way or does that stop where the 3rd party drives are involved?

• 

6.2K Posts

March 9th, 2018 12:00

We don't validate non-Dell drives for our PERCs. Certified drives use Dell firmware. The Dell version and the manufacturers version of the drive will likely use the same model number, so just because we validate a Dell drive of a certain model does not mean the manufacturers version of the same model will work. Whether or not they work will be trial and error. Our PERCs are designed to flag non-certified drives in our management applications, logs, and by using status lights.

I can't say with certainty whether or not having unsupported drives in the server will stop the system from being supported. We have many support contracts and support can vary by region. In general, we will try to work around unsupported hardware. If the issue is related to unsupported hardware in the system then we will troubleshoot as much of the issue as we can. If the issue is with the unsupported hardware then we are likely going to tell you to install supported hardware.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

March 9th, 2018 11:00

Hello

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thanks

4 Posts

March 9th, 2018 12:00

This is for a prospective new system. However, I can fetch a service tag for a similar system we currently have running if required.

4 Posts

March 9th, 2018 14:00

Thanks for the clear and concise response.

No Events found!