Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

May 18th, 2018 13:00

H810: Some configured disks have been removed (but they haven't)

After a standard shutdown/reboot (RHEL 6.5) I was presented with this notice by the H810:

"Some configured  disks have been removed from your system, or are no longer accessible.  Please check your cables and also ensure all disks are present.  Press any key to continue, or 'C' to load the configuration utility.

Entering the configuration utility in this state will result in drive configuration changes.  Press 'Y' to continue loading the configuration utility or please power off your system and check your cables to ensure all disks are present and reboot."

The thing is I was just rebooting.  No changes were made to cables, drives, etc.  All indicators on the drives were fine.  I powered off and reseated all connectors but it made no difference- still got the message when booting.

I didn't want to load the configuration utility given the warning so finally after trying lots of things (including firmware updates) I pressed 'C'.  System came up fine and all virtual disks were present.  A reboot after this was totally normal as well.

Soooo what happened here?  Quite a scary message to get.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 18th, 2018 15:00

Hi,

What kind of storage device is it attached to? Is the controller firmware up to date?

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

May 21st, 2018 13:00

This is the second time I've typed this reply because the message board must time out logins BUT STILL LETS YOU TYPE A REPLY.  When you click 'Post' it disappears and takes you to the login screen.

The H810 is connected to MD1200's with 3.5" near-line SAS drives.

I called this into support and he said he found a "PD Miss" error in the H810 log.  He said a situation like this is often the result of a drive or drives being flagged 'foreign'.  This is what happens when one would insert a drive into the MD1200 that was previously initialized in another RAID array.  The drive would have RAID info in the magic place where that is stored.

However my array came up fine after I let it continue booting without invoking the RAID bios setup screens.

By the way he said if one drive shows foreign the thing to do is clear it not import it.  But if more than one shows foreign you import and try to recover the array to it's latest state.  This requires expertise and experience.

Firmware was not up to date when it happened.  I did update firmware afterwards before continuing the boot and it didn't make a difference.

No Events found!