Highlighted
alleyslair
1 Copper

HDD "missing" -- Bad Bay?

DL4000 with MD1200. MD1200 is RAID-6 with a PERC H810 adapter. Checked OMSA and one HDD was not listed. Went to the server and the disk had no lights. Replaced the disk. Still no lights. Rebooted and went into RAID configuration. Disk listed as "missing." Reseated the disk several times. Still no lights and missing in OMSA.

Could the bay be bad? Is there a fix?

Note that I am posting here because the storage systems are similar across devices and this community has significantly more traffic than PowerVault.

Labels (1)
Tags (5)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DellEMC

Re: HDD "missing" -- Bad Bay?

It could be a bad bay, but other issues are more common. How is the drive mounted in the caddy? Is the end of the drive flush with the back of the caddy? If you don't have one uniform surface, the drive may not be connecting to the backplane. Mounting the drive nearer the front, instead of the rear, is pretty common for some of our server caddies. Assuming the caddies are the same or similar, you might check how it is mounted.

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos
alleyslair
1 Copper

Re: HDD "missing" -- Bad Bay?

WRONG! Just kidding. I feel so stupid. I put the screws in the SATA holes. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos