Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2012 23:00

Having trouble installing an OS on a PowerEdge 2850

I have recently purchaced a second hand Dell PowerEdge 2850 U1 server and I am having trouble installing an OS on it.

This is my first server so don't laugh at me if it is a simple fix :emotion-4:

I have no trouble geting it to boot of the disc but once it loads it says no drives detected

Can Anyone help?

August 30th, 2012 16:00

This is weird...I have just installed windows server 2003 and it says I only have 256MB RAM but I have 3GB installed...

August 30th, 2012 16:00

Sry I made a mistake It is a PowerEdge 1850 1U

August 30th, 2012 17:00

I have another problem...I have installed server 2003 but I dont have the drivers for the internet ports...can anyone help?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 30th, 2012 18:00

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

August 31st, 2012 01:00

Hi there,

Glad to hear that theflash1932 has helped you out since I've been out of the office, he's a legend around these forums and his advice is absolutely spot on! Thanks theflash1932, very much appreciated!

If there's anything else we can do for you, please keep us in mind and we'll do our best to help.

Thanks again!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 31st, 2012 09:00

Thanks  John ... I don't mean to cut in or step on people's toes ... I haven't quite figured out everyone's schedules and mine is pretty flexible ... just like to help :)

September 2nd, 2012 16:00

Hi There, I installed the chipset and then I tried to install the network driver and it says This update package is not compatible with any of the devices detected in your system, what have I done wrong?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2012 17:00

If the Update Package for Microsoft Windows doesn't work (which is the one I linked for you originally), then try the Hard Drive version:

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-2850

There will be a setup.exe in the extracted files.

September 3rd, 2012 01:00

YAY IT WORKS! Thanks Heaps! I I cant find any more problems with it (except the 124 updates it is doing.....) lol Also I dont suppose u know anything about IBM servers? I have a x346 series and I cant seem to get into the RAID Setup, I have looked at the instruction manual and it says to press Ctrl + A when prompted but it never prompts me and I try pressing it through the whole boot up prosess but still nothing...I have also tried to join the IBM forums but after half an hour I still havent goten anywhere...If you dont know dont worry. Thanks Again!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 07:00

I'm afraid I don't know anything about IBM servers :)  Glad you got the Dell sorted.

September 3rd, 2012 16:00

Ok No worrys, I'll get it working eventually =). lol sorry I have another question =P u dont have to answer if u dont want to.  I have noticed with most servers thay have a remote management feture so you can turn on and off your server from any computer in your network ( with HP it is ILO "Integrated lights out")  and that would be pretty cool as I am puting this server in the basement and every time I want to turn it on I would have to go down there. Do you think this server could do that?

I have 2 other servers and both have ports on the back that enable that but this 1 dosent...(it might not be a feture on 1U servers) I was wondering if it might work through one of the internet ports or would I have to get a PCI card for that (if it would be compatable with it)

Thanks =)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 17:00

Yes, it can, but you would need a DRAC installed.  If you don't have a NIC port where the wrench is - right next to the power supplies, then you don't have one, but they are easy to install.

September 6th, 2012 00:00

Hi Again,

I have found a suitable DRAC card on E-Bay and im thinking about geting it =) Thanks Heaps!

Also I have picked up my second 1850 and I tried to install windows server 2008 on it but it says no drives detected and I cant seem to find the right driver for it, I thought windows server 2008 would have them built in. if its not to mutch trouble I would really appreciate it if u could help =)

Thanks =)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 6th, 2012 09:00

I would assume one of two things:

1. You are actually installing 2008 R2.  R1 did have the drivers built-in, but Microsoft discontinued native support for scsiport drivers in R2.  If this is the case, then this is the 2008 R2 driver you will need:

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-1850

2. You have not configured RAID.  The PERC's do not support non-RAID, so when RAID is enabled, drives must be configured in a RAID array by the controller before the OS can see/use them, even with the right drivers.  Do this in the CTRL-M utility during POST.

With the DRAC, make sure you get the DRAC 4/i and not the 4/p:

www.xbyte.com/ProductDesc.aspx

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 9th, 2012 17:00

"are you sure this is the right driver?"

Absolutely positive.  Did you first extract its contents before putting it on a flash drive?  Windows can't use an EXE for driver loading during the OS.  Run the file to extract its contents, then put the contents on the flash drive.

That DRAC should be fine - it is the 4/i.

No Events found!