Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 17th, 2020 06:00

How to check raid log for errors

I was checking my Server 2012 DC (It’s a VM running on Hyper-V) while I noticed some Disk (event 153) and DFSR errors in the event viewer. Immediately I remoted into the Hyper-V host and checked the event viewer for similar errors but did not find any at all for “Disk”. I then ran some utilities on the host to check the drive status but everything is showing OK. There is another DC (server 2019) also running on the Hyper-V host so I popped in there to check and I do see some Disk errors (event 153) showing as well.

Perhaps there is an issue with the virtual disk? It looks like the errors first appeared about a month ago on 3/1. Most of them occur around the time that Veeam backups happen (8:00PM) but some occur outside of that window.

The host is a Dell R230 (with a Perc H330 RAID) running Server 2019 standard with the Hyper-V role. I’ve exported the RAID lsi log from the Perc h330 and cannot see any errors in there and there are no patrol read errors either which is why I think the issue may be with the virtual drive. Does that mean the drives are ok? Anything specific I need to look for in those logs other than “bad” “error” or “fail”?

2.9K Posts

April 17th, 2020 10:00

If you're not seeing anything flagged in the log, the virtual disk is probably fine. That having been said, if you want to upload the log somewhere, I'm happy to take a look at it, too. If you don't have anywhere you can upload it, we can figure something out. This should at least help confirm the virtual disk's health.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 17th, 2020 11:00

Appreciate it! Here you go...

https://tinyurl.com/yc3ecm3r

2.9K Posts

April 20th, 2020 09:00

I was able to look it over this morning. I see that the firmware is out of date and that the drive isn't certified. I doubt these would be related to the errors you were seeing at all. The drives seem to be moving along perfectly, and I had a decent amount of data to look at. Im seeing entries going back to June of 2019, lack of data in the log isn't an issue. I'd go ahead and flash the firmware on the controller, but I'd suspect you'll need to keep looking for an error source.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Were you able to take a look?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Yea the drive is not certified but it is a Dell drive. It was purchased from serversupply.com - I also had a Dell tech remote in to look at that prior to us using the machine in production and he said it was ok for use.

I think the warning is occurring when the Veeam backups kick-off due to high usage so it's something to keep an eye on.

2.9K Posts

Maybe. The hardware all looks good, so really flashing the controller is the only hardware recommendation I could make.If the errors do seem to be corresponding with those backup times, that may well be worth looking into.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 20th, 2020 10:00

Thank you!!

No Events found!