PowerEdge HDD/SCSI/RAID

Last reply by 05-31-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
3 Silver

How to check system's health (specially storage) w/o rebooting the server? (R420 + H710m)

Thats it. Theres so much time since I assembled this machine I cant remember how to check things in it w/o a reboot. How is that possible? I cant stop the services running in the VMs in this server but theres a long time since Ive checked the disks' health (2 disks in raid1) and details like CPU's temps...

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
4 Beryllium

Out of Band management: iDRAC. For sure iDRAC will alarm with email if you have configure and activate it but IIRC the iDRAC7 doesnt include a "storage" section within its GUI.

In Band: OpenManage Server Administrator(The webapp which listen on port 1311) or iDRAC tools aka "racadm" which is usefull when you have forget IP address and Password from your iDRAC.

Note: Our nagios like monitoring system use the command line stuff which comes with OMSA and also SNMP.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

Replies (4)
4 Beryllium

Out of Band management: iDRAC. For sure iDRAC will alarm with email if you have configure and activate it but IIRC the iDRAC7 doesnt include a "storage" section within its GUI.

In Band: OpenManage Server Administrator(The webapp which listen on port 1311) or iDRAC tools aka "racadm" which is usefull when you have forget IP address and Password from your iDRAC.

Note: Our nagios like monitoring system use the command line stuff which comes with OMSA and also SNMP.

Regards,
Joerg

3 Silver

Thanks. I remember I configured the iDRAC back them, but I dont remember none of the access credentials Ive set. I guess I will have to reboot the machine and look what I want the easy way

4 Beryllium

Stop!
There is no reboot needed when you have lost your iDRAC credentials. Just install the iDRAC tools "racadm" within the Host OS(Windows, ESXi,Linux) and when executing "racadm" with root/administrator rights you can talk direclty with the local iDRAC and you can also change the "root" password at least on "modern" iDRAC version. You have a 12Gen server which is iDRAC6 so iam not sure 100%.

Hint: The default idrac password it "calvin" and you should use this one first

Regards,
Joerg

Thanks for the info, hope it will solve.

Marco

Marco B.
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor