Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2014 10:00

Increase size of RAID 1 on PowerEdge T300 SAS 6/iR

Currently running 2 1TB drives in a RAID 1 on SAS 6/iR integrated controller and a 3rd non-RAID disk for backups. I need to increase the size of the RAID 1. I was thinking I would need to break the array back to 2 individual disks, image one to a larger 2TB drive then create a new array adding a second 2TB drive.

I tried to install the OpenManage software but the DSM Data Manager service stops after using the Server Administrator for a short time. I was going to attempt this in the BIOS utility when I had a thought.

When I image the system for backups(Acronis Recovery Disk, not installed on the system) I am presented with the Virtual Disk. I know in RAID there is data on the drive pertaining to the RAID besides the data of the system itself. Is this extra data present in the Virtual Disk or does the controller handle this and the Virtual Disk is just the system data. What I'm getting at is can I just image the Virtual Disk, remove both drives, create a new array and restore the image to the new bigger Virtual Disk?

• 

6.2K Posts

May 25th, 2014 12:00

Hello

To increase the size of your RAID 1 you should backup, delete the array, recreate the new larger array, reinstall, and then restore from backup.

If you have questions about how Acronis functions then you will likely find better assistance on their support forums.

Is this extra data present in the Virtual Disk or does the controller handle this and the Virtual Disk is just the system data.

All of the array data is stored on the disks themselves. The controller keeps record of the array configuration, but all of the array information is stored on the actual drives. Some imaging programs are able to copy array data and some are not. Copying the array data would be pointless. If you copy the array itself then the size of the array will not change. You need to delete and recreate the array.

Thanks

3 Posts

May 25th, 2014 13:00

Of course I'm trying to prevent having to reinstall and restore from backup. Imaging is so much easier and takes less time. Since I'm presented with the same VD using an Acronis boot disk as I am when I'm running windows I figured this would be easier as long as there wasn't any array data being presented to the system in the VD as I know I don't want to copy any array data. I would then delete the array, create a new larger array, restore the image then increase the data partition to capture the free space(GParted). I will check Acronis forums but this seems to be more a function of what the integrated raid is presenting to the system in the VD more than anything.

My first thought about breaking the array to individual disks, imaging to a new larger disk then creating a new new array with the new 2nd disk and then restore the image still seems easier than backup/delete/create/reinstall/restore.

Thoughts?

• 

6.2K Posts

Of course I'm trying to prevent having to reinstall and restore from backup. Imaging is so much easier and takes less time. Since I'm presented with the same VD using an Acronis boot disk as I am when I'm running windows I figured this would be easier as long as there wasn't any array data being presented to the system in the VD as I know I don't want to copy any array data. I would then delete the array, create a new larger array, restore the image then increase the data partition to capture the free space(GParted). I will check Acronis forums but this seems to be more a function of what the integrated raid is presenting to the system in the VD more than anything.

If that is how the backup software works then it will work as you have outlined.

3 Posts

So the Virtual Disk presented to the system by the integrated SAS 6/iR doesn't contain any array data as far as you know?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

I have used Acronis to clone raid arrays, it should clone the entire array, unless you have divided an array into multiple VDs ( an unusual setup).

To be really safe, you can hang a SATA drive off the mobo onboard interface the CDRom is on (or spare SATA port), clone with Acronis (or whatever) from the array to it, check that it does boot, and all data is available. Create the new larger array, boot into windows, reverse clone to the newly created larger array. 

No Events found!