Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2020 19:00

Issues with RAID Configuration on Dell PowerEdge R540

I just purchased a Dell PowerEdge r540 server and I am trying to set up RAID. Basically, here is what I want to do:
First of all, the dell came with 4TB HDD in it. So, I added 4 SSDs 2TB HDD each and one 240 SSD HDD for my OS (Proxmox Hypervisor) 
I want to configure the 4 SSDs 2TB HDDs into RAID 10 and configure the rest to RAID 5. Using the RAID wizard, I see all the disks and I select the 4 SSDs drives but on reaching the RAID levels, only RAID 1 is selected by default and I can't change it. The rest of the RAID levels are blurred or not selectable, what do I do to configure my SSDs on RAID 10 and make the rest of my RAID levels selectable?

Please, any advice will help me pass this stage, I can't proceed because I don't want to use RAID 1 either, it only takes 2 HDDs.
@DELL-Chris H 

4 Posts

June 11th, 2020 12:00

Hi, I just realized that when I switch RAID type from Linux RAID to Windows RAID type, I was able to have the rest of the RAID levels selectable. I wonder why this is so.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

June 6th, 2020 03:00

Which PERC is in your R540?

Regards,
Joerg

4 Posts

June 6th, 2020 06:00

Hi, thanks for your reply. 
Sorry I can't for certain tell the exact PERC on the dell as I don't have access to the server right now till next week but I remember configuring it for something using: S140 Software
RAID. 
Is this what you're asking for?

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

June 9th, 2020 03:00

Hello @karrey,

First you need to verify those SSD you have installed are compatible with the server. Do you have the brand name and model?

Now, when you mention the "RAID Wizard", what do you mean exactly? Can you share some pictures or screenshoots? Do you mean the BIOS Configuration Utility? (Ctrl+R on boot).

The S140 Raid Controller is an entry levle software controller. But RAID 10 is allowed on this controller. I suggest you to check this documentation: https://dell.to/2XJeo4W

Regards.

4 Posts

June 10th, 2020 11:00

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Here attached are some pictures:
RAID Levels all blurred except RAID 1RAID Levels all blurred except RAID 1ControllerController

This is a Dell PowerEdge R540 just purchased a few months ago. 

2.9K Posts

June 10th, 2020 12:00

For troubleshooting purposes, I'd consider attempting to create the array in the iDRAC and see if you get the same or different behavior. 

I'd also want to get a look at the screen preceeding the one you see here, where you would select your controller.

2.9K Posts

June 11th, 2020 13:00

The S140 is a software controller and there would be different software for Windows vs a Linux operating system. You'll need to select the OS specific to what you're wanting to install. I'll see if I can confirm whether or not the S140 should support these options in Linux, but previously the S140 had no Linux support. My expectation is that the options are limited, but I'll see what we can confirm.

No Events found!