Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2012 12:00

Issues with Raid Configuration

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2850. Yesterday the system went offline with an error "rejecting I/O to offline device". On reboot the following message is displayed "Press to run raid configuration". However, the system is completely unresponsive at this time. Pressing only generates a beep sound from the system. When I try to press F2 or F10 it just displays entering setup but never does enter it. Can anybody please advice how can I get over these issues?

Thanks

Mayank

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 20th, 2012 12:00

I would try reseating your expansion riser (along left/rear side of chassis with blue release lever).

June 20th, 2012 15:00

Mayank,

There are a number of reasons this can happen, and theflash1932 has some good starting advice, since the integrated RAID solution is part of the expansion riser. If reseating it does not change things, the next step would be to disconnect the ROMB battery and then remove the ROMB DIMM, and test that DIMM in the main memory slot 1A. Does that change anything? Let us know what happens!

4 Posts

June 25th, 2012 10:00

I don;t have direct access to the server room so could not try the solution earlier. I did reset the expansion rise. On restarting the machine, it does a few scans which go to completion and just stops after that to a blank screen. Again no response. I was able to go into the set up and raid configuration utility and all the settings seemed correct. Perhaps, I am missing something.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 25th, 2012 10:00

If you are now booting all the way through the 5-second warning for the ESM/CTRL-E where it stops at a blank screen, then you are now looking at repairing Windows by booting to the installation CD and Recovery Console.

4 Posts

June 25th, 2012 12:00

Well its a Ubuntu 12.04 server and I can check witht he recovery option. Perhaps I need to reinstall the grub again. But the still persists even after I reset the expnasion rise. On the first reboot I am able to access the setup or raid configuration utility. But eventuall when I reboot the system again, the first problem recurrs again. I will try and reintsall the grub again and let you know if the problem is still there.

4 Posts

I did not see any error regarding a mismatch. Ia gree it might be an OS issue at this point. I will try and let you know.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

If you are successfully able to get through POST (ESM 5-seconds), then it is most likely an OS issue at that point.  If it hangs before, then it is some hardware issue.  Did you ever see a message regarding a "mismatch"?  Boot to CTRL-M, Configure, View/Add ... are you prompted to choose between Disk View and NVRAM?  If so, choose Disk View, then Save on exit.

No Events found!