Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2017 01:00

Massive problem with Intel RST Raid 1 // PowerEdge T30

Hi,

I am having a major problem with my machine: I am creating a RAID 1 via the Intel RST Windows Software on Windows 10 (latest Intel software and driver release from their website). The creation and initalization is succeeding just fine and I can format the the volume afterwards and the Windows Explorer displays the volume accordingly.

Problem: When I start copying files to that particular RAID 1 volume the process is starting and continuing up to a certain undefinded point. Then the transfer rate drops to 0 bytes/sec suddenly and that's it. I can not copy anything anymore after that, I have to cancel the transfer and the volume can't be accessed anymore via Explorer.

The next thing that happened was that the Intel RST was showing that the RAID1 was degraded because of the HDD connected to port 0. I deleted the RAID via Ctrl+I before booting and performed an extended SMART test - the drive was fine. Anyway I decided to have the HDD (WD Red 2 TB) exchanged by Western Digital. Yesterday the replacement arrived and I created an entirely fresh RAID1.

I tried to copy a few files and after a certain time the transfer rate dropped to 0 again and the RAID can't be accessed anymore. I am beginning to assume that the mainboard has an issue.

Do you have any clue or thinking what could help my problem?

Thanks in advance, Jay.

EDIT: My system is the PowerEdge T30 running the 1.0.5 BIOS and the OS in installed on a SATA SSD. There are two WD Red 2TB drives for the RAID1 and a single WD Red 8 TB that will store data just like that.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 16th, 2017 07:00

It is the cache (NOT battery-backed, so dangerous to start with) and is likely related to the drives not being compatible. Either 1) it is using some onboard cache, or 2) (more likely) it is using the drive cache for the writeback, for either of which the drives' timings and response capability would become important. I would use them with no cache or in non-RAID (and mirror in the OS). Mirroring in the OS will give you far superior performance and reliability as well.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 14th, 2017 11:00

The WD Red isn't appropriate for server use, and in RAID in particular. If you want to try to use them, turn RAID off and mirror in the OS if you need to, but I would suggest getting drives more suitable for server use.

5 Posts

December 14th, 2017 11:00

The T30 is rather used as a NAS and media server and that is the reason why I chose WD Red.

However I don't think the HDD choice is the reason why the Intel RST Raid is failing.

Any other ideas?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 14th, 2017 13:00

It's not about function. You can set it up and use it as a NAS, but that doesn't make the T30 a NAS, and that doesn't mean that NAS drives are the way to go. NAS drives are typically compatible with specific NAS hardware and specific NAS software, not enterprise server/RAID systems. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't consider the T30 and iRST in general to measure up to "enterprise" level technologies - iRST is garbage - but I wouldn't discount that there is still a HIGH probability that the drives are not compatible. I'd recommend disabling onboard/chipset RAID, be it iRST or the PERC S-series controllers, and mirror in the OS (ZFS on FreeNAS/Linux, Disk Managment in Windows, etc.).

You could try updating the BIOS/firmware on the system and the drives and make sure you are using the latest iRST driver - latest from Intel if the latest from Dell is older.

Any problems with your 8TB single drive? Have you tested their stability while NOT configured in RAID?

5 Posts

December 15th, 2017 02:00

Thank you for your message.

I don't have any problem with the single drive at all. I transfered a few terabytes and there were no nothing at all.

Interesting experience from yesterday: I changed the cache mode from write back to write through and I was able to transfer more than 500 GB without any problem... Do you think the write back mode is somehow not working properly?

548 Posts

December 15th, 2017 06:00

I'd be wary of letting Windows 10 auto update drivers.

Also, when manually updating iRST drivers, i'd first look at the OEM's download page for the latest  certified drivers for your system. In theory, the OEM would have tested the driver version for your system and even though they may not be the latest and greatest, they should work. 

It's just that sometimes OEMs can get lazy and not certify and release their suppliers latest driver version. As such, if going to the supplier site directly, you need to read the driver release notes, possibly for all versions from that available on OEM site up to the latest available from the supplier.

The reason for needing to do such 'homework' is that, for example, Intel dropped cougar point (C206) chipset from iRST driver version 12.9.0.1001. This impacted my HP z210 since this OEM had not updated their iRST driver and the old version 10.6.0.1002 driver available on HP site has known faults.Version 11.11.2.0.1006 from Intels site resolved my problems but i couldn't use the later versions since they don't support C206 chipset....

Your Dell T30, which uses a later C236 chipset may or may not work with the latest and greatest iRST driver. So if the version you are using is not available on the Dell download site, read the Intel release notes... either the driver is not compatable or there could be known fault you can work around.. such should be documented...

I'd suggest that since your problem seems to disapear when you use 'write through cache', maybe it is a known fault with a known work around already documented on the iRST release notes.. All goes back to 'read the manual'.

In reality i don't know as i haven't read the docs but just remember RAID is not a backup and heed theflash's warnings as he knows a thing or two...

An alternate approach is, if your T30 is under support contract, call Dell for a fix.

5 Posts

December 16th, 2017 09:00

Thank you very much @theflash1932 and @skylarking.

I am now a huge step ahead.

I will disable caching completely.

On other notice: Do you have any idea how I might force my HDD to spin down using Intel RST ? That bug is killing me.

I will also consider your suggestion to just mirror the two drives.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 16th, 2017 12:00

I will disable caching completely.

Disabling caching will decrease performance, but I'm assuming performance is not a big issue for you, because 1) you got the T30, and 2) you are using WD Red drives, neither of which are sold for high performance applications.

Do you have any idea how I might force my HDD to spin down using Intel RST ? That bug is killing me.

Not sure what "bug" you are referring to, so if it is a known bug in the iRST software, then a BIOS update and/or driver update may resolve it at some point. If it is not a known bug and it simply isn't working for you, then I will go back to the drive compatibility (sorry to sound like a broken record, but it is critical); if you are referring to the WD Red's ability to power down to save power when idle or not in use, then this will likely never work here, as that is a feature that is never utilized in an enterprise environment - iRST may simply not know how to invoke it on those drives (while a NAS device/software, on which the drives are designed/certified/validated, would know how to manage that). As mentioned, iRST is a pretty low-end RAID solution, but on some serious enterprise RAID controllers, when the drives sleep while idle, the controller will take them offline thinking they have stopped responding, because the controllers expect a response from drives nearly instantly, and not only are the Red's not set with the same threshold for responses, it will almost never meet that threshold if it has to "wake up" first.

5 Posts

December 21st, 2017 07:00

Thank you very much for your help @theflash1932 again. I disabled caching and everything is working as I want it to!

No Events found!