Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2015 02:00

Migrate RAID-0 to RAID-1 - how?

Hi,
I have a number of R730xd servers with PERC H730 RAID controllers.
I have configured the drives as JBOD by creating a virtual drive for each in RAID 0. So each physical drive has its own virtual RAID-0 drive.
Can I migrate one of them to RAID 1 without losing data? I can delete one of the virtual drives on the same controller so there is a spare drive available.
I found some references to RAID level migration, but no information on how to actually do it.

• 

8.4K Posts

February 18th, 2015 13:00

With another HDD installed, when you go to Reconfigure Virtual Disks, you won't be finding a place to manually change it to a Raid 1. The reconfigure tells it to reconfigure the array with the new drive. Making it a mirror (Raid 1) It then will rebuild the new drive with the first drives data.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 8th, 2015 22:00

You must choose reconfigure on the disk you plan to preserve - the VD that contains the data you want to convert to a RAID 1. You must delete the unused disk first - you will NOT be able to select it if it is configured in a VD.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 18th, 2015 05:00

Yes, you can do this 1) in the RAID controller's BIOS configuration utility, 2) from OMSA in the OS, or 3) from a OMSA "live" CD. In OMSA it is called "reconfigure" for the virtual disk.

• 

8.4K Posts

February 18th, 2015 06:00

Pcore,

In order to run the Raid Level Migration, yuo would need to access the controller BIOS. Under the Virtual Disk Management page you will find RECONFIGURE VIRTUAL DISKS, select that and it will perform the Raid Level Migration for you.

Let me know if this helps.

24 Posts

February 18th, 2015 12:00

Hi Chris,

I simply cannot find the option to do migration. I tried booted into both PERC BIOS Configuration and Lifecycle Manager. I can see the virtual disks fine in both interfaces, but I cannot find where to migrate from RAID-0 to RAID-1.

For example, in Lifecycle Controller -> System Setup -> Advanced Hardware Configuration -> Device Settings -> RAID Controller -> Virtual Disk Management -> (Virtual disk name) -> Operation -> Reconfigure Virtual Disks -> I cannot change RAID level there.

For example, in Lifecycle Controller -> Hardware Configuration -> Configuration Wizards -> RAID Configuration -> RAID Controller -> Select RAID Level -> Select Physical Disks -> Virtual Disk Attribtues etc. it will let me select physical disks for virtual disk creation. It looks like this will create a new virtual disk, not migrate an existing one.

In PERC, I don't see any migration options when I click F2 Operations on a disk group or virtual disk. VD properties only lets me change read policy etc.

Am I missing the obvious somewhere?

Best regards,

Brian

24 Posts

February 20th, 2015 07:00

Thanks Chris, worked perfectly.

Brian

7 Posts

June 8th, 2015 15:00

Sorry to chime in, but I wish to do this as well and could use some additional details using OMSA

I select "reconfigure" from "available tasks" on the disk with the data I want to preserve?  Or

do I do that on one of the other, unused RAID-0 disks?

Cheers.

7 Posts

August 18th, 2015 11:00

Took me a while, but finally got to this.  Thanks very much for taking the time to answer.

Deleted the unused (but previously configured disk), chose the disk I wanted to reconfigure

from RAID-0 to RAID-1, chose RAID-1 on the next screen (the default was for two disk RAID-0),

the only disk offered was the only free disk, the one I had just deleted.  Followed my nose and

waited a few hours.  All seems to be well.

Thanks again.

FZ

July 11th, 2018 06:00

I have a 3 disc RAID0 that I want to convert to a RAID1 (2 disc obviously).  If I understand the above discussion, I can do this but I'm not sure of the details.  I have 1  open slot for a HDD.  Do I  add a new  disc in that  slot? 

Is the disc I am selecting the Virtual Disc (VD)?  In FZ's notes, he deleted the  Unused (but previously configured)  disc.  I don't have  "one of  those".  The only VD I have  is the  one  with the  data on it  as a RAID0.  I can't delete it, can I?

Any help would be very much appreciated.  I have Open Manage v8.5.  I have a Dell T310 server with Windows Server 2008 r2.  I  have 4 HDD  slots, 3 are  filled with 500G disc's.  

No Events found!