Highlighted
1 Copper

Migrate RAID5 disks from LSI MegaRAID SAS 9267-8i to a PERC H710

Hi there

I have an old NEC server with an old LSI MegaRAID SAS 9267-8i RAID card in it.  It has 4 SATA disks which are in a RAID5.  I would like to move these disks to a Dell R720xd with a PERC H710 RAID controller in it.

Will this work, and if so, what do I need to do on the destination controller to see my data again?

Note, the contents of the drive isn't mission critical but it'll be a pain to retrieve it all again.  Since the cards are from the same manufacturer I think it's worth a shot, but no sleep lost if it fails.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: Migrate RAID5 disks from LSI MegaRAID SAS 9267-8i to a PERC H710

No idea if it'll work, but there's certainly no harm in trying. 

I don't think the PERC would import the virtual disk, since the firmware used to create it would be different (I'd still try, it's non-destructive), but if anything works, I'd think a re-tag would be it. A retag would involve inserting your disks into the R720xd and creating a virtual disk on them as though there never was one. The difference would be to *NOT* initialize the  array, because that's what will cause data loss. Hopefully, this lets you write a PERC RAID data stamp while keeping the core data for the server.

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos