Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2010 14:00

Move RAID 5 Array from 2400 to 4600?

Hi!

I've got a PowerEdge 2400 with 6 disks in a RAID 5 Array.  I recently acquired a PowerEdge 4600, and I was wondering if I would be able to simply pull out the disks and put them in the new machine?

If it is not that easy, is there anyway to do it without wiping the drives and starting over?  That would save me a lot of time.

Thanks for the help!

Max

777 Posts

January 8th, 2010 15:00

Hi Max,

Dell server models you mention were sold with several different models of RAID controllers, some of which were Adaptec and others AMI or LSI. In general if the raid controllers in the two machines were from the same family you should be able to make the swap and have the new controller pull in the drives with the configuration intact. Of course there are little details like installing the driver for the new controller before you down it off the old controller that might make things go a bit smoother.

Regards,

Dell-GaryS

777 Posts

Hi Max,

The quickest way is to run the systems through POST and watch the video screen, you will see the intialization verbage for the RAID controllers and be offered a keystroke to enter the controller BIOS, either a Ctrl A for Adaptec or a Ctrl M for the AMI/LSI controller. The controller version and F/W level will be reported there as well.

Regards,

Dell-GaryS

Hi Gary!

Thanks for the quick reply.  How would I check to see what RAID cards each machine has?  I acquired them both used and I do not have any paper work on them.

Thanks,

Max

January 8th, 2010 18:00

I'm having problems getting the built in RAID card activated.  I am using the RAID Key and Memory module from the old server, and I bought a RAID battery.  Yet still the BIOS does not show the possibility of using the embedded RAID Controller.

Is something wrong, or should this RAID Key not work.  I thought they were fairly basic pieces of hardware...

January 9th, 2010 21:00

Nevermind.  My friend has the proper RAID Key, turns out the RAID Key from a 2400 won't work in a 4600.  Oh well.

No Events found!