Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

19 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 19:00

Moving RAID drives from T610 PERC H700 to T620 H710

Looking to switch out my T610 for a T620.  Wondering if moving a RAID set from the H700 to a H710 is supported.

In case someone responds that this is possible (assume I'd choose to import the foreign config on the H710 controller), if it doesn't go as planned would I be able to move them back to the T610 and the data/config be intact?  Just wanted to ask now since that'd be my follow up

• 

8.4K Posts

September 4th, 2018 07:00

Dyokley,

Since the controllers are based on different firmwares I don't think it will work. If you verify you have a full backup then you can try, but if it fails then you will need to recreate the Virtual Disk on the H710, then install the OS and restore from backup.

Let me know what you see.

19 Posts

September 4th, 2018 15:00

Thanks Chris.  Do you think just the act of trying it on the H710 would make it invalid if I moved them back to the H700?  I have a good backup but if it doesn't work I might go a different route and put them back into the T610

• 

8.4K Posts

September 7th, 2018 07:00

It depends on how the configuration is interpretted by the controller, it shouldn't cause it to be invalid in returning it to the H700 from trying, it would show as a foreign configuration on its return, as the H710 would change the drives configuration data, so when you return it to the H700 you would want to clear the foreign if present. If that fails then you would need to delete the VD on the H700 and then retag it as it was originally (retag is deleting and recreating the VD WITHOUT initializing the VD, as that will delete the data, then remove a single drive and rebuild it after verifying VD will boot to OS and data intact, then rebuild the removed drive).

Let me know how it goes.

No Events found!