Highlighted
johnb352
2 Iron

Moving drives to different server

Jump to solution

Two Powervault R310s.

I need to move the drives from one R310 to another.  I know the RAID config is on the controller, is it also on the drives?  This would be taking all four drives and replacing the four in the 2nd server.  What is the prompt that I will get on this 2nd server when it detects new/different drives, and what's the response that I use?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theflash1932
6 Indium

RE: Moving drives to different server

Jump to solution

Yes, the config is stored on both the drives and the controller, and when they don't match, the configuration on the drives is marked as foreign. What you will see is a prompt to import the configuration or go to the configuration utility. You want to IMPORT the configuration.

THIS IS ASSUMING YOU ARE USING THE EXACT SAME MODEL AND FIRMWARE OF CONTROLLER ON BOTH MACHINES!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Yes, the config is stored on both the drives and the controller, and when they don't match, the configuration on the drives is marked as foreign. What you will see is a prompt to import the configuration or go to the configuration utility. You want to IMPORT the configuration.

THIS IS ASSUMING YOU ARE USING THE EXACT SAME MODEL AND FIRMWARE OF CONTROLLER ON BOTH MACHINES!

0 Kudos
johnb352
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Ok, thanks.  And thanks for the tip about the matching model and firmware.  I'll check on that first.

0 Kudos
johnb352
2 Iron

Jump to solution

The originating server has a PERC H700 PCI card.  The destination has a built-in H710 Mini.  Could that work?  I guess the only way to know is to try it.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Migration of virtual disks from an H700 to an H710 is supported. I would just recommend you have a backup and that you update both controllers' firmware first.

johnb352
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Thanks.

0 Kudos
luisf22raptor
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello
Have you been lucky? I have the same problems, migrating a raid 5 from an R310 to an R320.

Thank you

0 Kudos