Highlighted
3 Silver

NVMe--- software or hardware raid? (or no raid)

Jump to solution

I know I'm demonstrating my ignorance, I even suspect that perc cards don't support NVMe drives.  

Surely hardware raid is better than software(or am I an old man, stuck in the "olden days" when computers had turbo buttons). I know dell servers have bios options specifically for software NVMe raid

Even talking about raid and NVMe, am I likely to trigger any "you must NEVER put NVMe drives in raid the idea is STUPID!!!!!"  comments. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: NVMe--- software or hardware raid? (or no raid)

Jump to solution

Heya Max,

We don't have much appetite for bad attitude around here. Hopefully our users will treat you right.

Moving on to your question - your suspicion is correct. If you wanted to put your NVMe drives into a RAID volume, you'd need to use a software controller (like a software PERC) to do it. As for hardware RAID vs software RAID, I'd plant myself firmly in camp hardware. I understand that there are merits to both, but I prefer a hardware controller, too.

#Iwork4Dell

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Heya Max,

We don't have much appetite for bad attitude around here. Hopefully our users will treat you right.

Moving on to your question - your suspicion is correct. If you wanted to put your NVMe drives into a RAID volume, you'd need to use a software controller (like a software PERC) to do it. As for hardware RAID vs software RAID, I'd plant myself firmly in camp hardware. I understand that there are merits to both, but I prefer a hardware controller, too.

#Iwork4Dell

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Did that get you taken care of, Max, or did you still have some concerns?

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos