Highlighted
StlCardsFanJWR
1 Nickel

Need advice for 2.5" SAS drives for R710 and PERC H700

I'm thinking of installing eight (8) new 2.5" SAS drives into an R710 with an PERC H700 controller and would like to know folks recommendations for choosing the correct drives.

I'm having a hard time deciding which drives I should purchase.

My drive options are as follows:

• (8) 2.5" 400GB Toshiba Enterprise SSD
  • (8) 2.5" 300GB 15k SAS HDD
  • (8) 2.5" 600GB 15k SAS HDD

Questions:

1. Should I mix SSD with HDD?
  2. I plan on using Drives 0/1 in a RAID 1 array.  What is the best way to setup/configure the remaining six (6) drives?
  3. Is it advisable to mix HDD with SSD.

Thank you in advance and I really appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Need advice for 2.5" SAS drives for R710 and PERC H700

Stlcardsfanjwr,

Use enterprise class SAS hard drives for high performance and reliability. The size of the drives entirely depends on your data needs. Do not mix the drives when setting up your RAID for optimal performance.

When you set up drives 0&1 with RAID 1, the rest can be set up using RAID 6 which gives fault tolerance of 2 drive failures while RAID 5 offers fault tolerance of just 1 drive failure. Therefore, you will have more redundancy with RAID 6.

Robert Alakara

Dell EMC | Enterprise Services

StlCardsFanJWR
1 Nickel

RE: Need advice for 2.5" SAS drives for R710 and PERC H700

I only use SAS (HDD or SSD) drives in any server I put together, and prefer to use 2.5" drives whenever possible. I plan on using 6 x 400gb Toshiba Enterprise SSD SAS drives.

I plan on having 2 drives in a RAID 1 for the OS (Windows Server 2012 R2) then use the remaining 6 drives in a RAID 5 array, which will give me plenty of space. If I weren't using SAS drives I wouldn't even consider setting up a RAID 5 array.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos