Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2012 12:00

Need help for raid5 rebuild on 2950 perc5i

We have a 2950 server with perc5i Raid5. 

Yesterday, one of the disk shows failed in the Dell openmanager.

1. I use a same size new disk to replace it.

2. But it shows foreign in openmanage.  It is a new disk never opened. Usually it will show rebuilding.  

3.Then I restart the server, now it shows ready in openmange. Still not start rebuilding.

Any advise?

9 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 14:00

my mistake, the raid only used 3 disks. Another one is a  hot spare. That is the reason why the insert new disk it will not rebuild

9 Posts

Thanks I tried,

1. clear foreign configuration

2. restart server

3. now it shows ready, but not rebuilding.

4. Because I am using raid5, when I select Assign the disk as a Hot-Spare. It shows

Physical Disk 0:0:3 This Physical disk is not suitable to protect all current or potential virtual disks on this controller. Possible reasons include: Insufficient physical disk space, unsupported mix of SAS and SATA type physical disks, unsupported mix of SSD and HDD type physical disks, and non-SED drive assigned as a GHS when secure virtual disk is present. Continue with assigning as a global hot spare?

Seems it will not rebuild the raid

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

The foreign configuration MUST be resolved before it can be used by the controller.  In this situation, you must clear the foreign configuration.  In OMSA (OpenManage Server Administrator), go to Storage, PERC, Information/Configuration (link at top of page), then scroll down and choose Foreign/Clear from the dropdown menu of Available Tasks for the controller.  If it doesn't then start to rebuild, then Assign the disk as a Hot-Spare in either the Storage, PERC, Virtual Disk screen or the Storage, PERC, Connector/Backplane, Physical Disks screen.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

How about a shot of your Virtual Disk screen?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Can you get a screenshot of your Physical Disks screen?  (Use Rich Formatting to be able to upload/embed an image.)  

What model is the new drive and what model is the old drive?

9 Posts

Thanks for your help. The disk 0:0:3 is the new disk. I use red box to mark it in the second image. Other 2 raid 5 disk under the connector 1. The new disk model is not same to old, it is a upgrade version. But I never heared rebuild raid need to use the same model disk. 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 21st, 2012 13:00

Are there actually jumpers already on the drive?  If the RAID 5 data is still accessible, then the RAID card did not lose the configuration information.  There is no way to "manually" rebuild a failed drive ... the controller must do it.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

I'm not sure what to tell you then ... you might try creating a single-disk RAID 0 with it to be sure that the drive is even functional.  You might even try adding the drive as a hot-spare from within the CTRL-R utility during POST.

9 Posts

I checked no any jumpers on the drive

9 Posts

VD1 is the raid 5. which I need to rebuild

Click on  VD1,

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

The reason I asked for the VD screen was to make sure we were in fact talking about RAID 5, as your original screenshot only showed two of the larger drives.

None of the Black's are rated/qualified for use on a RAID controller, let alone this one, but other than that, I don't see anything immediately that would explain why it would not rebuild.  As far as I can tell, the only difference is one is SATA II and one is SATA III, which should make no difference here.  The "formatted capacity", as listed by WDC is exactly the same.

What jumpers are set on both models?

9 Posts

Is that possible to manually rebuild the raid5

9 Posts

no any jumpers set, I just insert the new disk in. I guess maybe the raid card lost the config information. That's really strange.

9 Posts

August 21st, 2012 14:00

thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2012 14:00

I should have noticed the size of your VD :)

No Events found!