New Dell disks in PERC H700 not visible

Hi there,

We have just bought and installed a pair of disks for our H700 in a R415:

Product Name    : PERC H700 Adapter
Serial No       : 26I00U3
FW Package Build: 12.10.4-0001

but these new disks:

Form Factor: 3.5 inch
Interface: 6Gb/s Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)
Capacity: 600GB
Speed: 15,000 RPM

Dell Part #: W347K
Firmware: ES66

Mfr: Seagate
Model: Cheetah 15K.7
Model Number: ST3600057SS

are not visible/listed in the RAID controller (Ctrl-R). We have two more disks (TOSHIBA MG03SCA100) working properly. Any tip?

Thanks in advance,

Vicente

• 

6.2K Posts

December 14th, 2013 10:00

Hello Vicente

I would have to review the controller logs to see why they are not listed. Have you checked the physical disk list in the controller BIOS? Is the status light on the new drives solid green?

If you would like to pull a controller log and post it somewhere I will review it. Please do not copy and paste it into a normal forum post. That is incredibly difficult to read through. Please upload the text file somewhere.

Thanks

7 Posts

December 16th, 2013 03:00

Hi Daniel:

Here you have more info (some screenshots, a diagram of the disks, and the logs):
http://homes.ourproject.org/~vjrj/otros/new-sas-disks/

I don't see any light in the front of the slots (there is no light neither in the old runing disks that are ok).

If you need more info.

TIA,

Vicente

7 Posts

December 18th, 2013 08:00

any news? Thanks

7 Posts

December 20th, 2013 01:00

More info: the two new disks are visible if I connect them to slot 0 and slot 1 ... but not in slot 2 and slot 3.

TIA,

Vicente

• 

6.2K Posts

December 21st, 2013 09:00

I could not find any mention of slots 2 or 3 in the controller log. The controller is not detecting anything being connected to those slots. That would suggest that either the connectors are bad or the drives themselves are completely dead. Since the drives work fine in slots 0,1 I suspect connectors 2,3 are not functional.

I would suggest testing your old drives in slots 2,3 to see if they are detected. If not then reseat the backplane, and cables attached to the backplane. If the problem persists then you will likely need to replace the backplane.

Thanks

3 Posts

December 21st, 2013 12:00

I have quite the same issue with a Dell R420 server with H310 mini controller:

I already had two SAS 600GB drives and added two additional drives.
But the new drives on slot 2 and slot 3 doesn't get recognized. If I put them on slot 0 and 1 the controller gets the drives. I tried a lot, deleted the VDs, reset the controller to factory default, but nothing works. The LEDs on the new drives are also black.

On my second R420 server the same situation, but here the two new drives get recognized without any problems.

7 Posts

January 9th, 2014 04:00

The controller and the cables where replaced without solving the issue. But on Monday, Dell support solved this issue connecting the drives to the second port of the H700, so now the drives are in slot 4,5,6,7. Very strange...

No Events found!