Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2013 11:00

New HDD not being recognized by SAS controller on PowerEdge T410

One of the drives failed on my RAID 1 setup, so I bought a non-certified dell drive, Seagate Barracuda 500gb (the other drives were 250gb).

I powered off the machine and swapped the failed drive with the new one (cable connections)

When I boot into Sas controller (SAS 6 ir) it shows that the drive is missing.

I turned off the server and switched the cables from the primary to the new drive, to see if it would make a difference. None. Still shows "drive status: missing"

Do I have to buy dell certified drives? Am I doing something wrong? Or is the RAID controller out of date?

Any help would be appreciated! My primary hardrive is showing signs of failure. I have an image of it, but I would like to get it mirrored on my new drive ASAP.

Thanks,

• 

6.2K Posts

February 16th, 2013 12:00

Hello director87

Go to RAID Properties>Manage Array>Manage Hot Spares. You should see a list of all of the drives the controller detects. The drives in your RAID 1 will be listed as Primary and Secondary. The new drive should not have anything in the "Drive Status" field. Use the arrow keys to highlight the new drive and the +/- keys to assign it as a hot spare. After you assign it as a hot spare it should start rebuilding.

If you do not see the drive in that list then check the SAS Topology screen. If you see it in SAS Topology then use CTL D to pull up additional options. Let me know if it will allow you to do anything to the drive in that screen. If you don't see it in SAS Topology then it does not appear the controller is able to properly communicate with this drive.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 16th, 2013 12:00

"Do I have to buy dell certified drives?"

You don't HAVE to, but there is no guarantee that non-certified drives will work as expected.  The Barracuda is not just "non-certified", but it is also not enterprise-class, which can introduce a whole new set of problems and are really not suitable for use on RAID controllers.  Desktop drives will "usually" at least show up on a controller, can often even be configured, but sometimes they are not even recognized at all.  You might try it in a desktop or on an onboard SATA port just to make sure you are not dealing with a faulty drive though.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 10th, 2016 14:00

I've heard that hot spare is not a good backup system and using RAID system is more efficient since complete data is preserved

RAID is not a backup solution at all. RAID's purpose is to protect the availability of the server and its data and services and/or increase performance and/or capacity of a storage system. A hot-spare can help support that purpose. A better option than a hot-spare is double redundancy, as exists with a RAID 6 (and sometimes RAID 10). RAID should be implemented based on performance and availability needs. Backup is a separate topic.

On another note, I have a windows 2008 R2 server with two 500GB. Since it's getting full, I would like to upgrade and use 2x 2TB instead. At the moment when I reboot, it says both drives are degraded and get 78 and 79 error, but it boots to Disk 0 fortunately. So I am kind of worry that the other one goes down..can't effort..

How should I go about this? take Disk 1 and put new 1TB and then SAS Controller to tell it's part of RAID 1?

You can replace the smaller drives with larger ones, BUT your array will NOT get any bigger. You would have to back up the data, replace the drives, create a larger array, then restore the data. If you replace the smaller ones with larger ones, there is nothing you can do with the additional space.

7 Posts

February 16th, 2013 13:00

Thank you. 

The drive does not show up as an option in hot spare or in SAS topology, therefore I'm assuming the controller cannot communicate with it.

Is there anywhere on the web that might show a list of HDD combatible for my machine? This seems like a bit of guess work if it its out of the dell-certified realm.

Again, thanks for your help.

• 

6.2K Posts

February 16th, 2013 13:00

Is there anywhere on the web that might show a list of HDD combatible for my machine?

The best way to find a list of supported drives is by using the parts and upgrades search on support.dell.com:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/PfydFeaturedCategoryResults.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&mfgpid=202719&chassisid=8812&stype=2&~ck=bt

There may be additional drives available that are not listed on the site. You would need to call or chat with a sales rep to have access to all available drives. There are a lot of 3rd party drives that work in our servers, but before buying a 3rd party drive I would search the model number online to see if anyone else has tested it in a Dell system.

Thanks

1 Message

March 7th, 2016 07:00

Hi Daniel,

I've heard that hot spare is not a good backup system and using RAID system is more efficient since complete data is preserved. Not sure though.

On another note, I have a windows 2008 R2 server with two 500GB. Since it's getting full, I would like to upgrade and use 2x 2TB instead. At the moment when I reboot, it says both drives are degraded and get 78 and 79 error, but it boots to Disk 0 fortunately. So I am kind of worry that the other one goes down..can't effort..

How should I go about this? take Disk 1 and put new 1TB and then SAS Controller to tell it's part of RAID 1?

kozpeace

No Events found!