Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2014 13:00

New HDDs not detected in PowerEdge R710

Hello.

The PowerEdge R710 server originally had 3 SAS-2 drives installed and running Windows Server OS. To reuse the server for something else, we wiped the server (deleted the OS and data) and also deleted the RAID virtual drive to start clean. I added 5 more hard drives (same size and model number as original 3 working drives) to the server, giving the server 8 drives. When I power on the server, all drives have light activity but after a few seconds the original 3 drives are the only drives to have a steady green light (with an occasional blink). The other drives' leds are blank. Going into the "raid bios" CTRL+R to create a new RAID array, only the original 3 hdds are available for selection.

I've added the drives, I can see light activity for a few seconds at boot so I assume the drives are connected to the two SAS controllers. Where do I go from here?

Thoughts?

13 Posts

May 16th, 2014 15:00

in CTRL+R > PD mgmt the 3 original disks are the only disks listed. The 5 new drives aren't visible.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 16th, 2014 15:00

Hi,

If you go into the ctrl+R and go to PD mgmt, what does it show for the state of the drives?

• 

8.5K Posts

May 16th, 2014 16:00

Are they in Dell drive carriers? If you swap
with one of the working drives does the new one show up?

13 Posts

The drives aren't in Dell carriers/caddies but the carrier's/caddies look almost identical to Dell's. The original 3 are in slots 0, 1, and 2. I placed 3 into 0 then powered on the server. A message on the LED screen told me 0 had been removed and that a new hard drive was in 3. So the original 3 were the only drives operational.

• 

8.5K Posts

The lights are controlled by the backplane, not the drive, so it is flashing as part of the post sequence and not because it sees the drives.

• 

8.5K Posts

It probably is the carriers are not lining the drives up properly with the backplane. You could put one of the drives into a Dell carrier and see if it shows up to rule out a drive issue.

13 Posts

Ok. That makes sense. I'll try installing a new drive into the Dell carrier and will post the results here.

13 Posts

I'll try that, but I'm confused why the LED lights on all of the drives light up green for a few seconds at boot then only the 3 original drives have steady green lights later.

13 Posts

I'll try that, but I'm confused why the LED lights on all eight drives light up green for a few seconds at boot then only the 3 original drives have steady green lights later.

3 Posts

March 29th, 2016 23:00

Hello, similar issue

Using Dell Carriers, R710 with PERC H700 - drives show in RAID CTRL (Full 6.0GPS transfer on ATA)

Windows Server 2012RC2 fails to see them at all. Any particular setting to get Windows to identify what RAID Controller is seeing?

No Events found!