Morbid Touch
1 Copper

New to servers, need assistance in purchasing raid controler

I have an Poweredge 2850 that i want to connect to a intransa VA-expndr 24 tb storage server.

The intransa has an SAS output port for a SFF-8088 but sadly the poweredge doesn't have a port for my cable.

The cable that came with the set up is an 1m SFF-8088 to SFF-8470 External SAS Cable

Anyone have quick knowledge of what raid controller that would be compatible with the dell poweredge?

I need to get one with a input port for the SFF- 8470 but dont want to buy something if it's not compatible with the poweredge.

Thanks for you insight on this situation

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: New to servers, need assistance in purchasing raid contr

Hello

The PERC5e is the only external SAS RAID controller I see listed for a 2850. It appears to have the connector you are looking for. You can find documentation on the controller support page. I suggest reviewing the documentation to make sure it is what you are looking for.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

You should also review documentation on the system. You can find system documentation on the 2850 support page. I show that PCIe support was optional with the 2850, so you may not have a PCIe slot. I show the PERC5e is a PCIe card, so it will not likely function unless you have a PCIe slot.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos