Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

9 Posts

April 9th, 2020 17:00

No configuration present after disk failure

https://www.dell.com/cz/domacnosti/p/poweredge-t410/pd

Hello,

I have this old machine. Two mirrored disks in SAS with the same data. One of them failed. I replaced the failed one and suddenly it says No configuration present. Foreign config is greyed out. How can i proceed with the other one now? I cannot lose the data! This is urgent.

Thank you.

9 Posts

April 9th, 2020 18:00

I removed the preserved Cache. I tried to create new Raid-1 VD. It says back initialization. Is there a way how to use the data from the second good disk which was supposed to have the same data?

• 

3.1K Posts

April 9th, 2020 22:00

Hi,

There is a very high possibility of data lost. But there is 1 method I can think of, but it's risky as there is only 1 drive left for recovery. In fact there is 2 methods.

If the system is showing background initialization, meaning any data on both drives that is in the server now, has been erased. (Please label the drive that has not been replaced before, which was originally still in the server before you replace it)

Can you let me know when you try to create the RAID1 VD, what drives are in the server. Old drive1, Old drive2 or New drive1? - Which drive have failed? You mentioned second good disk, which drive is it. Please let me know with the labels.

9 Posts

April 10th, 2020 04:00

It started by "There are offline or missing virtual drives with preserved cache" which prevented the system from booting up. WITHOUT any previous notifiction or message. Just stopped working suddenly. So I had to personally go there to the server room and enter the Configuration Utility. There was no configuration present. I went to next page where my two disks showed. One in status Ready Second with thatus Failed with 0MB in size.

Guy in the Server room told me to buy a new one. I did just that. When I bought this server they told me in case like these only replacing of the disk is enough and the system will take care of the rest.

So from my original configuration
SAS_old_01 (Ready)

SAS_old_02 (Failed)

I had after a very expensive replacement I now had:

SAS_old_01 (Ready)

SAS_new_02 (Ready)

It still had the same errors even after replacement. As every minute in the server room is expensive I had to take action quick. There was no other option in the utility other than delete preserved cache and create new VD. We did just that.

I was careful NOT to choose Initialization option and it even said that in the message - if I check-box Initialization option I will lose my data so I left it unchecked.

It started the background init process on its own we didnt know why it started but we had no choice but to let it finish as no cancel option was available ... nothing.

Now it says after restart "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart."

There are no media inserted there. This already cost me a fortune! And now you are saying me that I lost the most important thing server could have - ALL DATA?? That is why I had two disks there to always have backup that is what I was recoomended to have to prevent this by dell and I still lost it all?

I am really frustrated... Lost a lot of money as this all was really expensive for me and even after all that I still lose all data? This really makes me not to trust DELL any longer... this is really bad ... It puts us back several months or maybe years ...

• 

3.1K Posts

April 13th, 2020 01:00

Hi,

Thanks for the detail explanation with the drive labels.

From what I understand is that the only data available would be on SAS_old_02. From where I have experienced, my best opinion is to find a third part company at your region that does data recovery, and seek advice if they are able to recover data on SAS_old_02.

There is a risky method that I can think of, but due to your urgency on the data, I would not want to opt for it. Method would be force online the drive, SAS_old_02. It must be inserted to the same slot as original. Access to the RAID controler, and in drive management, do a force online. If the RAID BIOS detects foreign config, import it, do not attempt to clear foreign. With 1 drive in RAID1, the OS should be able to boot. 

If the system boots, you can do an immediate data backup with a local USB drive. 

9 Posts

April 16th, 2020 05:00

IMG-20200416-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20200416-WA0007.jpgNothing worked so far... But a guy who said he can recover the data asking for this PCB... Can I order it from you or can I send the whole disk to you to recover my data? I paid for this server machine from your company good deal to ensure my data are safe... I would appreciate any help right now. Thank you.

• 

3.1K Posts

April 16th, 2020 19:00

Hi,

As much as I would like to help, but there is no data recovery service nor the PCB that you're looking for is available from us. I would strongly advice to look for a 3rd company to recover your data, and not to pursue any further configuration with the drives. 

No Events found!