Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 27th, 2013 10:00

OS RAID Drivers

I have a Dell Poweredge 1850. I am trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2, but I can't seem to grasp the whole RAID drivers thing. Can someone please explain to me where these can be found and how to implement them into the OS install procedure so I can get this thing up and running? Thanks for all of the help. If you need anymore information from me, just ask.

• 

6.2K Posts

Hello bmraxim

This should be the drive you need: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-1850?driverId=9K3D3&osCode=WS8R2&fileId=2731109791&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SR

Download the hard drive version and put it on a thumb/USB drive. Go through the OS installation and when you get to the hard drive section there is an option to install additional drivers. Direct it to the thumb drive and it should find the driver. If it does not locate the driver then direct it all the way to the .inf file. If it still does not find the driver then let me know which controller you have.

The file is a self-extracting executable, so you need to run it to extract out the files. After the files are extracted out copy those to the thumb/USB drive.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Three things:

1. You must be using the onboard PERC 4e/Si or add-in PERC 4e/DC, and NOT the PERC 4/xC.
  2. You must configure RAID before attempting to install - the PERC does NOT support non-RAID, so all disks must first be configured in CTRL-M before any storage is presented to the OS.
  3. You must use this driver for 2008R2:
    1. http://ftp.dell.com/scsi-raid/LSI-LOGIC_MULTI-DEVICE_A00_R227150.exe
    2. Driver above must be downloaded and run to extract the files before use with the "Load Driver" link during Windows Setup.

7 Posts

What I mean by RAID drivers it, installing the right drivers during OS install, so I can install the OS on the Hard disks. Right now, the hard disks don't even show up in the OS setup.

7 Posts

July 27th, 2013 11:00

Can someone please explain to me the process of configuring the drives in the ALT-M Configuration screen?

That Might have been my problem.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Yes, without configuring drives in CTRL-M, the OS cannot see any drives to install to, even with the right drivers.

Boot to CTRL-M, Configure, View/Add, Space Bar to select each drive, Enter to stop selection process, F10, Space Bar to select only "span", F10, select RAID level and leave all other settings as default.  After this AND saving the configuration on exit, go to the Main Menu, and Initialize the logical disk.

7 Posts

Okay, so I downloaded the driver, verified I was using  the onboard PERC 4e/Si or add-in PERC 4e/DC, and NOT the PERC 4/xC, put the driver on my thumb drive, booted the server from the win server 08 r2 disk. It found the driver, but it still didn't find the drives.

7 Posts

Okay, Windows Server 2008 R2 is installing. Everything is good so far. Thanks so much for your all's help! :D Much appreciated!

7 Posts

July 27th, 2013 12:00

Okay, another problem. The OS installed as planned. But now that I rebooted it, it says "Missing operating system". Any ideas?

• 

6.2K Posts

Okay, another problem. The OS installed as planned. But now that I rebooted it, it says "Missing operating system". Any ideas?

How big are the drives and what RAID level did you put them in? Also, how many drives. Go into the system BIOS and check the boot order.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

You can try repairing it (Repair Your Computer from the OS install disc).

You can try just reinstalling - may have just been a hiccup during the install.

Or boot to the installation media, Repair Your Computer, Command Prompt and type in the following:

diskpart
select disk 0
clean

Then boot to Install Now and install it again.

7 Posts

July 28th, 2013 21:00

Okay works great now.

Now I have the same scenario, different machine. I now have a Dell PowerEdge 2550. I need help configuring the drives to prepare them for OS install. Also, I need the drivers for the controller. Please and thank you in advance!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 28th, 2013 22:00

Assuming you are using the onboard/embedded RAID, you need to boot to CTRL-A, Container Configuration Utility and configure the array there.

No Events found!