Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

June 1st, 2016 22:00

PE 2800 - PERC 4e/Di Seagate 10K.7 SCSI Drives Show 0MB Capacity in PERC BIOS

I have a RAID 5 configuration with 4 Seagate Cheetah 10K.7 300GB U320 SCSI HDDs. One drive has failed and another is showing as an impending failure. I have identical replacement drives (ST3300007LC) on hand. Hot swapping the failed drive with a new one did NOT result in an automatic rebuild as it should have. I tried powering down and swapping out the drive, hot swapping it, tried with a different drive, etc. The new drive was not detected in OMSA, even with a global rescan.

I installed the new drive and accessed the PERC BIOS (CTRL+M). With the new drive in the same slot as the failed drive (0:0), it still showed as "Failed." With the new drive in a different slot (0:4) and the failed drive not physically present, 0:0 still showed as "Failed", while 0:4 showed as "Ready", but the drive capacity was 0MB. As a result, I cannot designate the new drive as a hot spare and begin a rebuild. Why would the PERC either not see an exactly identical HDD, or see it as having 0MB capacity? The PERC is not properly detecting the same drives as those that are already attached to the controller.

It's the same issue as was mentioned in this post: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/t/19301482. However, the notion that 300GB HDDs are not supported with this PERC is not valid in my case. Ideas?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 3rd, 2016 13:00

Hello.

What is the firmware level of the controller? Normally such unexpected behavior is caused by out of date controller firmware resulting into some communication faults with the hard drives. Note also that firmware may not be applied with the RAID in a degraded state. It is possible that your RAID is corrupted following failed rebuild of a replaced drive moreover with another drive in a predictive failed state within the same array. I would suggest that you back up your data, delete existing VD and re-create another with good drives. Ensure that your system BIOS and controller firmware is up to date.

No Events found!