Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 4th, 2009 10:00

PE 2850 - Windows 2008 R2 - problem with HD Driver

Hi,

I attempt to install windows 2008 R2 on a PE 2850, but it's not working.

The problem is that windows doesn't recognize the hardrive (when I should choose on which partition I want to install the OS).

I tried to load the driver PERC 4e/DI RAID v6.46 (from the dell support website) but it says that the driver is not digitally signed.

The installation is working with Windows 2008, the driver version is 6.50, so I took it and loaded it during the installation of 2008 R2 but it is not working eather (same message).

I also tried with the driver from lsi.com, the driver version is 6.51, it is digitally signed but it's not working for 4e/DI (4/Di, 4e/DC, ... but not 4e/DI).

Do you have any idea how to resolve this ? can dell do something about it ?

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 18th, 2010 12:00

First, make sure this is the driver you are using:

When you created your Logical Drives, did you also Initialize them? 

You could also try installing via USB key - this is how I do all of my installs any more:

http://www.haiders.net/post/Installing-Windows-Server-2008-from-a-USB-Flash-Pen-Drive.aspx

There was a similar issue for me that ended up being a weird DVD drive issue - it would install every OS except for 2008 R2 - but it was isolated to only one drive though - other drives that were exactly the same make/model/firmware worked fine.

172 Posts

June 4th, 2009 11:00

There is a native driver on Win2008 to support the PERC 4e/Di controller but, in Win2008 R2, Microsoft has remove any support for devices that use scsiport (like PERC 4 controllers); Microsoft only wants to support storport.

3 Posts

June 19th, 2009 19:00

Does this mean there isn't a workaround to install windows 2008 on a PowerEdge with a PERC 4e/Di controller?

I just purchased 3 2850's with this in mind. :-(

I am attempting to install Win Server 2008 R2 and cannot get the installation to use the RAID drivers off the Dell site. I'm getting the same error as above referencing non-signed drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

3 Posts

June 20th, 2009 08:00

I could install windows 2008 but not 2008 R2.

I tried different solutions :

- Install 2008 R2 and load the driver taken from 2008 or from lsi.com : doesn't work

- Install 2008 and upgrade to 2008 R2 : doesn't work

- Install VMWare ESX and install 2008 R2 in a virtual machine : doesn't work (now it's the CPU)

So I installed it on an Optiplex to do my tests and I'm waiting for the new EqualLogic server to replace my 2850.

My PE 2850 is 2 years old and already out-of-date ...

That's all I can tell you, sorry if it doesn't help.

9.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2009 07:00

I could install windows 2008 but not 2008 R2.

I tried different solutions :

- Install 2008 R2 and load the driver taken from 2008 or from lsi.com : doesn't work

- Install 2008 and upgrade to 2008 R2 : doesn't work

- Install VMWare ESX and install 2008 R2 in a virtual machine : doesn't work (now it's the CPU)

So I installed it on an Optiplex to do my tests and I'm waiting for the new EqualLogic server to replace my 2850.

My PE 2850 is 2 years old and already out-of-date ...

That's all I can tell you, sorry if it doesn't help.

As mentioned before; Microsoft doesn't want you to use miniport drivers. You'll have to use a newer raid controller than the PERC4, which means you need at least a Poweredge 2950.

The 2850 supports x64, but not Virtualization Technology (VT), so you cannot run x64 Virtual machines with ESX 3.x, and you cannot run ESX 4.x at all as it requires VT to be able to use any VM (it may not even install, but I'm not sure about that).

Note: the Equallogic array you're getting is a storage solution; it's not a replacement server. I can store virtual machines if you want, but you still need a server to connect (via a vlan or dedicated switch) to the storage on the Equallogic solution. Do you have a 2950 or newer model server on order as well? If not, your Equallogic solution won't help you.

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2009 09:00

Yes, I understood that, I was answering the other guy to tell him it's not possible to install 2008 R2 on a PE 2850.

And for the Equallogic the solution, I will buy a new server of course.

Thks for the post.

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2009 12:00

Thank you very much for your reply. 

It does not seem aceptable that a machine that is only 3 years old can no longer run the current OS. Both Dell and Microsoft are large enough that things like this shouldn't happen. Either Dell wasn't looking far enough into the future or Microsoft pulled a fast one on them.

It seems we should push one or both for a workaround.

Brian

9.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2009 09:00

The 2850 was already available in 2004 (not sure exactly when it started shipping, but definitely in 2004 or earlier). So the design process probably started at least 12 months before the release date. Over the course of the shipping time of any manufacturer's server changes are rare and usually minor (adding support for newer processors and maybe memory, but rarely for completely new architectures like SCSI to SAS). So, you may have purchased the server 3 years ago, but the design is 5+ years old.

With Windows 2003 Microsoft introduced support for storport drivers. Over the years (updated service packs and storport.sys drivers), Microsoft has changed to recommending storport drivers. Some info on storport drivers is available here and here (both from Microsoft).

I'm not sure if SCSI can even do storport drivers at all when I scan through those 2 documents.

Windows 2008 (pre-R2) already got rid of SCSI clustering support by setting certain requirements that plain SCSI cannot do (2008 only supports clustering with SAS, fiber channel, and iSCSI storage) and strongly recommended using storport drivers as they allow for better performance. And now Microsoft seems to have chosen to discontinue support for scsiport/miniport drivers completely, which isn't too surprising as they starting pushing storport drivers in Windows 2003, when the technology wasn't even there yet (e.g. when the 2850 was a common shipping server and most of the bigger server manufacturers didn't offer SAS yet).

Yes, your server may only be 3 years old, but the design is 5+ years old and you're trying to run an OS on it that's so new it hasn't even been released yet.

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 10:00

Touche! and well said.

Although embarassing, I do feel obligated to post this. After the release os SP2 for Server 2008, I went to the website and downloaded Server 2008 R2 and was confusing the two. When I returned today and review after your last post I see it is actually still only a Release Candidate.

Thanks for everyone's time.

11 Posts

December 8th, 2009 20:00

However, now that R2 has been released officially, the problem still exists.  I can understand that as technology changes, eventually software will come out that cannot/will not run on older machines, but the part of your explanation of why 2008 R2 will not run on the 2850 does not make sense to me, given the following:

- Dell has released a PERC 4e/Di driver for R2.

- Dell lists R2 as a supported OS on the 2850 (http://advisors.dell.com/advisorweb/iDriveMatrixView.aspx?redirect=1)

It would seem there is a way, but we are waiting for the "how" to trickle down from Engineering?

1 Message

March 12th, 2010 09:00

I was having this issue with my 2850's when I stumbled accross this Dell driver that worked for me.  I can install Server 2008 R2 if I use it, here is the link.

This helped me hopefully it will help anyone else having this issue. 

<ADMIN NOTE : Service tag removed per privacy policy>

11 Posts

March 12th, 2010 09:00

That is the correct driver - and the one I was using.  Turned out (for me) to be a bizarre DVD drive issue.  I could install 2008 and 2003, but it would hang on copying files for 2008 R2.  I tried the drive in a different machine ... same thing.  Dell replaced the drive for me (exact same model and revision, so not a compatibility problem) and it installed with no problems.

Thanks.

March 29th, 2010 19:00

Thanks so much for posting this.  I downloaded the driver, extracted it to a flash drive, browsed to it in the 2008 R2 installer and it went off like clockwork! 

DIG!

:emotion-22: :emotion-22:

5 Posts

June 29th, 2010 13:00

I have the Perc 4/DC card and can't get windows 2008 R2 to install on my 2850. I downloaded the suggested 2008 R2 driver set R227150 and there is a 4/DC driver in there but after I load it I still get Windows can't install. Is the 4/DC card supported in win 2008 R2? I did have Windows 2008 pre R2 on this server before with no problems.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 29th, 2010 16:00

I don't believe the PERC 4/xx controllers are supported - I believe it is only the PERC 4e/xx controllers that are.  Drivers for all PERC 4's were integrated into the 2008 install files, but Microsoft has removed them from 2008 R2 (something about miniport(?) support).  There may be a good reason Dell hasn't issued drivers for these controllers for R2, but I don't know the details, only that we have been round and round a few times trying to do so with others. 

When you say "there is a 4/DC driver in there" ... where are you talking about?

Just a note in case this got missed ... make sure you create AND initialize your RAID array before attempting to install, otherwise, Windows would not see anything any way.

No Events found!