Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 1st, 2016 17:00

PE T610 w/

I have a T610 with an internal HW RAID card (linux thinks it's a type of LSI MegaRAID SAS 1078) card.

The slots are 3.5" size, so 8 drives are supported internally.

In 3 of the slots I have a RAID5 of 3 x ~70G  15K SAS disks -- In the other 5 slots, I had some 2GB SATA drives as a RAID5 which have now been relocated to an external box (& 2nd LSI-type controller).

In 4 of the internal slots attached to the Dell-Perc card, I want/have put/ 4x128G SSD's that I thought I might use in a RAID10 -- giving me a 512G HD that I want to use to replace my aging 70G SAS drives.  I figure it should be faster and more secure w/RAID10, but as soon as they power up, the slots they are in start blinking *orange*, and the LCD display says it detects disk errors.  Note -- all of the SSD's are attached to the standard dell disk-cartridges for the T610 and all seem to make good connections.

I booted off the current SAS drives, to try to see what the problem on the SSD's was.

From linux -- the SSD's are not only "visible", but all work "just fine" -- I partitioned all of them, and ran full-disk writes of patterns, and reads of same and got no errors.  All the while, the LCD and slots
 are blinking orange, but I can't find any error messages from the OS regarding the disks.  I can use ipmi to read the log -- and the log isn't specific -- just says "disk error in drive 'x' (all of the 4 SSD's give this error).  Originally I had all of them in use in my work station (with a SAS /iR) in a RAID0 -- they gave no error in that box, and were configurable as a RAID0.

So why am I getting disk error indicators from the HW, but not at the OS level?

Is there any firmware upgrade I need -- AFAIK, they are just normal drop-in SATA replacement sata drives that just happen to store data in flash memory instead of rotating rust.  So why would the Dell HW even know or care what type of SATA drives they are, especially since I know they work?

Help in installing and getting rid of the disk-error indicators would be real helpful.

What do I need to do, or is there  FW upgrade for the internal controller to tell it that these SATA drives are "fine"?

Thanks much!

-linda

No Responses!
No Events found!