Simmy_001
1 Copper

PE1900 -PERC5i SAS Raid 5 replaced drive won't rebuild

Hi All

I have an old PE1900 with a PERC 5/i running a RAID 5 Virtual disk comprising of 3 x 150Gb SAS drives. (Windows 2003 server 32bit)

One of the drives failed and due to a number of circumstances, the main being the server is remote to us located in Malaysia with no local IT support and trying to source a replacement drive, the faulty drive wasn't replaced for at least 5 weeks.  The drives are not hot swap due to the chassis design so the server had to be powered down for the drive to be replaced.  After switching on with the new drive installed I expected it to automatically rebuild, but it did not.  So I thought there would be an option in the Open Manage software to execute a rebuild but there is not.

Open Manage reports the virtual disk as degraded, and only displays the 2 working drives under the physical disks included in Virtual disk 1.

When I go to the Physical disks view I see all 3 drives, 0 & 1 are on-line 2 (the replaced drive) shows ready but the only drop down options are “Assign Global Hot Spare” or “Clear”. I was expecting to see rebuild so it can be added back into the 3 disk raid 5 array.

I have tried the “clear” option but this doesn’t seem to change the situation.

Perhaps I should have marked the faulty drive as bad before they powered off to replace it ?.  As mentioned, this server is remote with no local IT support so any BIOS tinkering is not an option.  Is there any way I can get this new driver to rebuild into the existing virtual disk ?

If it would help I can probably get the faulty drive put back in, if this would then allow me to follow a correct removal procedure.

Thanks in advance for any useful info.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Simmy_001
1 Copper

Re: PE1900 -PERC5i SAS Raid 5 replaced drive won't rebuild

OK all sorted, I was searching this forum and discovered that you simply have to assign the drive as the "Hot Spare" first then it automatically re-builds.  (Which it is currently doing.

Regards

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Re: PE1900 -PERC5i SAS Raid 5 replaced drive won't rebuild

The PERC 5/6/7/8 do not have a REBUILD option like the PERC 2/3/4, so if the rebuild does not happen automatically, then you need to assign it as a hot-spare if it is showing READY.  If it is showing as FOREIGN, you must clear the foreign configuration first (not the "clear" option in the Physical Disks dropdown screen).

0 Kudos