Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2015 04:00

PE2650 BIOS can't detect Hard drive

Hi,

I have a server PE2650 and original setup of RAID 1 with 5 hard drive, due to some reason two of five hard drive  crashed and failed, whole system down. I reboot the server and go into BIOS, from the screen it show two hard drive 0,3 is missing and only detect 1,2,4. And I think 0,3 should be faulty. I quickly takes other two hard drives from another server and replace it with the two which I suspected faulty.

After I replaced and reboot again into BIOS, the BIOS is still only detect 1,2,4. Why no detecting the new drives in slot 0,3? This new drive is configured on other server, why the BIOS not able to detect the new hard drives I bed from other servers? Is it this bring over hard drives still contains the foreign configuration?

What should I do to let BIOS detect this bring over hard drives? Format it? Please help I need to detect the hard drives and I need to reinstall the crashed server, please help.        

• 

8.5K Posts

June 16th, 2015 14:00

Hi,
The 2650 controller is does not have foreign configurations, that is a newer controller feature. You can try initializing the drives
Select Initialize Drives.

Use the Right/Left arrow keys to select the bus with the disk you wish to initialize.

Select the disk you wish to initialize and press Insert.

Press Enter.

At the warning message, press Y.

June 16th, 2015 16:00

Hi I can't even see the new hard drives,how can I initialize it?

• 

8.5K Posts

June 17th, 2015 10:00

You can try reseating the drive or a different drive, this controller doesn't have any other options if it doesn't see the drives.

12 Posts

June 19th, 2015 17:00

First of all...Is the data valuable and do you have a up to date validated backup?

If this is valuable data and you don't a have a up to date validated backup, you shouldn't do anything and contact a data recovery provider to recover your data.

Why?

1. You cannot set up RAID 1 on 5 drives, RAID 1 is a mirror and requires exactly 2 drives. If your server went down after 2 drives went offline, you have a RAID5 configuration.

2. If 2 drives go down in a RAID5 configuration, the RAID volume will be inaccessible because 1 stripe of the configuration and it's corresponding parity data is missing.

3 If you setup a fresh RAID configuration with the 2 replacement drives you will have an empty volume and corrupt previous data, If you initialize 2 drives as replacements and do a rebuild, YOU WILL corrupt your data.

4 If you attempt to replace 1 drive and force another(original) online to do a rebuild and the parity set is outdated(1 drive failed earlier than the other), YOU WILL corrupt your data.

YOU SHOULD NEVER attempt to replace drives in a server that has gone past the degraded state unless you have a validated up to date backup or if the data has no value.

No Events found!