Highlighted

PE2950 Raid5 Perc6

I have a PE2950 with 6-disks Raid 5 configuration, and Perc 6/i. I received a disk failure asserted, which I contacted support and Dell sent me a replacement. After rebuild was successful, disk was working fine for a few hours, then drive failure was reasserted again.

I ran DSET tool, the report indicates that physical disk is in failed state. I emailed support the report from the DSET tool, and haven't heard back since. While talking on the phone, the tech hinted that I may need to rebuild the virtual disk array. I don't see rebuilding the array will help, since the Raid controller (going to console by Ctrl+R) indicates disk failure. Do you think his diagnostic is correct? Dell refused to send another replacement. I do have next business day bronze service, this problem has not been resolved since last week.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Re: PE2950 Raid5 Perc6

It is entirely possible that your array is corrupt.  It happens, and all controllers are susceptible to it, and the only way to fix a corrupt array is to delete and recreate/initialize it.  The controller can only relay the status of the drive in the array - disk failure reported by the controller simply means that the drive is not currently participating in the array.  The controller can relay the disk's status as actually bad - the drive will report itself to the controller as bad and the controller will then mark it with a predicted failure flag.

It could, however, be a faulty cable or slot on the backplane.

Did you and the Dell tech run diagnostics on the original failed drive?  If so, then the drive was rightfully replaced, but it could also have been that original failing drive to cause the array corruption, so that any disk inserted in its place has the same faulty RAID information written to it during the rebuild.  If not, then it's possible it would have passed, and you would have found the problem before even receiving a replacement disk, knowing what you were up against.  Either way, now that Dell has determined that simply replacing the disk is not the fix to the problem, they will need to determine what is the problem in order to get you the correct fix - be it a new controller, backplane, cable, or ... fixing the corrupt array by deleting, recreating, and initializing it.

Have you run diagnostics on the new replacement?  I suspect so, otherwise, if it also failed diagnostics, I'm sure you'd be looking at another replacement drive.  DOA drives do happen, but it is unusual.

Keep on them.  Ask to speak to their Escalations Manager or Level-3 technician if you feel they are not trying to help you get it resolved.  Just be prepared for the possible resolution to be an unpleasant part of using RAID arrays.

0 Kudos